We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

Hi,

We will be spending a couple days in the Baltimore area with a definite trip to the aquarium. What are some considerations and/or recommendations for staying in the Inner Harbor area versus further out and using public transportation? I will be traveling with my wife, 8 year old daughter and 11 year old son. We would like to keep the nightly bill to around $100-150.

Regards,

Greg

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

Not sure this helps you but I have spent time researching a trip to Baltimore and the Tremont Park has a 2 night weekend offer (not sure if you plan on w/end or week day trip) that comes in at $259 for a studio type room or $289 for a one bed room apt + tax. Both suites feature a full kitchens (+ free parking for one vehicle) for 2 adults and 2 chidlren for 2 nights.

A little over your budget but you could save on b/fast and snacks etc with the kitchen facility. You might want to check the TA user reviews also.

www.secure-res.com/res/vn2/listp.asp?id=1357

There are various posts in this forum with hotel suggestions on the Light Rail route.

I think it depends on you and your family. Are you happy to go out for the day then spend the evening at a hotel in a more out lying area or would you like to go out, rest up a little then head out again to eat etc.

Personally, for a short trip, I'd rather be in walking distance of the attractions.

I found this map useful

http://bccenter.org/about/hotel_prox.html

for working out hotel locations in relation to those things we wanted to visit.

Another tip would be to go to the National Aquarium website and pre-book your tickets as all I read is that it can get very busy and you could spend a lot of standing in line. Standing in a queue is not something that interests my two children!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

Since you are only staying a couple of days I think the trip would be more time efficient and easier if you stayed in the inner harbour area. That way the tourist attractions you seem interested would be walkable. You would save money on cab and lightrail fares also. All of the "touristy" stuff- Aquarium, Science Center, Sports Legends Museum, Port Discovery, ESPN zone , Fort McHenry,

are right there. That is also where all the shops and restaurants are.

You could then take the water taxi over to Fells Point, though the kids may be less interested there[ except for the taxi ride] as it is shopping, antiques, pubs and restaurants. A cab ride to The B+O Railroad museum is very short ,as is the ride to Mt Vernon which is where the art museums are.

All things taken into account I think you would be happier at one of the hotels right at the inner harbor area.

Houston
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

I would try priceline and see if you can get a 4 star in the Inner harbor for arund $100. My husband and I often use the name your wn price feature, and often we can get a good room for $89 -but you are locked in, can not change plans and usually are put in a room with 100% no view.

I would stay in the Inner Harbour -treamont is nice, but Tourist area is 4 blocks noeth -and coming home it is an uphill walk. Inner harbour hotels have a flat easy walk to everything

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

If you can't get a decent price downtown try the hotels near BWI airport. Its maybe a 5 mile ride but you'll have free parking, a bigger room and a breakfast buffet.

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

Any recommendations for hotels near BWI? Also, how easy will it be to get to the Inner Harbor area on a Thursday and Friday? Will it be a traffic nightmare?

Regards,

Greg

Hartford
Destination Expert
for Hartford
Level Contributor
942 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

I stayed at Comfort Inn. An easy 10 min. drive to downtown for $89 per night. Hampton Inn was $99. Both had breakfast.

7. Re: Budget hotel for 10/25-27 for family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 20, 2009