We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport question

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport question

We will be staying at Sleep Inn on the Fallsway and will need to get to BWI for our return flight.

I see that we are pretty close to Shot Tower Metro. Is our best bet to take the Metro to Lexington Mkt and then pick up the Light Rail (a block away) to BWI? Our flight is at 11.30 am, on a Tuesday.

If we used the Metro and the Light Rail, would a day pass be easier as I think it covers the two services?

Thanks for any help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport question

There is also a free circulator bus that will take you to the Camden yards light rail. Not sure if it passes hotel or if its hours are convenient to your flight but this is an easy question that the hotel well be able to help with. If you do need 2 services the day pass is an extra 30 cents and that is what you would purchase.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport question

I would suggest walking one block south of the Shot Tower to Lombard and taking the free Charm City Circulator to Howard St where the light rail stop is. Then you'll have to walk another block or 2 south to Convention Center/Camden Yards to catch the southbound light rail. This way may take a few more minutes but is free.

Make sure you get on the light rail going to "BWI Marshall" and not the southbound train going to "Cromwell".

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport question

Since the poster needs to buy a ticket on the LR anyway, the metro might be the easiest way. However there is no direct transfer, you've got to walk a block from the metro to the light rail station. However if you see the orange circulator bus heading west on your way to the metro station, just hop on and take that instead.

Make sure to buy the $3.50 day pass for the transfer.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport question

As I thought, there are options. Whichever way we go, costs won't vary much, so I think we'll look to take the easy route, which seems to be the Metro.

Thanks for the feedback.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport question

Yea, then you can say you rode the Baltimore subway. Would you believe there are many people in Baltimore that don't even know we have a subway? Shhh...It's a secret subway. ;)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport question

Good point, Grav. Maybe the great city of Baltimore should advertise the subway more. Is it useful and safe? In years of traveling to B'more twice a year for a week each and getting all over the place via car, Amtrak, Light Rail and the Charm City Circulator, I never saw the subway. Did I miss something? Should I try it my next trip (which I hope is soon)? ;=))

I will put in a plug for Light Rail (slow) and the Charm City Circulator (free and convenient) though. Subway?.....hmmm.....will have to think on that.

Sorry ---- traveler to lovely Baltimore for over 20 years and now I'm wondering what I missed. Guess it depends on what works for different people. I like transportation above ground, when I'm traveling as a single female. The reason I ask is the situation of getting stuck at the Lexington Market Light Rail stop, as a single female (even in the daytime) and not feeling comfortable. That's an understatement.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,129 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport question

Missed my edit window. The mention of Lexington Market station got to me. It's important to prepare people. I'm pretty urban-savvy, but that one was a challenge AND it was Opening Day of the Orioles season about 3 years ago, so there were plenty of people around. I won't repeat that route again. Travelers take note. Not trying to scare anyone, but do be prepared with "traveler caution."

As Grav says, definitely make sure to take the Light Rail train which says "BWI" in the marquee above the front window. Many people (including me) have made the mistake of thinking that any train going south will go to the airport. The BWI train and Cromwell train end up in different places. I've seen people running for the train (knowing they were planning to go to BWI from a convention) and they got on the wrong train. I've also waited for the right train for 45 minutes. It takes time to double-back, if on the wrong train, so be careful and look above the front window. BWI, not Cromwell. Bears reminding. Not fun to wait in a station for another 30-45 minutes to double-back.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport question

Well, we decided to walk to the Shot Tower and then took the Metro to Lexington Market and then got out of the station, walked half a block and got the Light Rail to BWI. We bought a Day Pass and the light passenger traffic and availability of elevators made it reasonably easy.

The public transport options are pretty varied for visitors, but are we the only people that find climbing on to the Light Rail a bit of a challenge with luggage? The train is a good 3 foot above the level of the platform! Is the city looking at making changes in that respect?

Thanks for the help with our planning. We really enjoyed our couple of days in the city.

9. Re: Public transport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 25, 2015