We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

As I have posted I will be staying in DC for 5 days in late January but would like to do a day trip to Baltimore. To get downtown Baltimore to the Inner Harbour area and other tourist attractions downtown, what is the best way to get there by transit?

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

Do a search. This exact question and all its permutations has been asked many times both in Baltimore and DC forums

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

I wish the search results would only give for questions for that topic. Many unrelated ones come up. Thanks for the suggestion, will read through a bunch or will wait until I get to DC and ask there, was only curious is all.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

MARC was quick and easy to take.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,514 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

MARC is probably fine. Camden Line trains terminate in the Inner Harbor area. However, schedule is somewhat limited and the trip is longer than their Penn Line trains, which require either a long walk or transfer from Penn Station to the downtown/IH area.

If you're planning on making the trip on a weekend, long-awaited MARC Penn Line service on Saturdays & Sundays will begin on December 7. Camden Line service will remain Monday-Friday only.

Amtrak also runs to Penn Station (faster than MARC since it doesn't make as many stops). But unless there's a major premium on your time, I don't think you'll find it worth paying the higher cost.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
700 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

As noted, the Camden Line has limited runs. Your best bet is taking the Penn Station Line that leaves Washington Union Station on the hour - you can return via this train as late as 9pm (One Way is $7.00). Once at Penn Station, head left out the main exit and head for St. Paul Street where you can catch the free Charm City Circulator Bus to the Inner Harbor.

You can also cab it between the locations reasonably.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Union Station
Union Station
1,999 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Paul
Paul
497 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Inner Harbor
Inner Harbor
3,017 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
669 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

Thanks guys, I figure with 5 days in DC, I would like to spend a day in Baltimore checking things out, leave in the morning and comeback in the late evening.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
7. Re: DC to Baltimore By Metro or Amtrack or MARC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014