We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Topic
How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

Hey Baltimore residents. I currently live in New Jersey. I haven't been to the Baltimore/DC area in quite some time. But I do remember that the traffic is usually tough on I-95.

In November, I have a Sunday night convention in DC, and I have to travel back to NJ the very next morning (Monday morning). The problem is that I have to report to work at 8:00 PM on that Monday night.

I figure I would leave DC at 8 AM or so. I shouldn't have too much of a problem, as most of the Monday morning traffic will be heading into DC.

Will I hit traffic heading into and out of the Baltimore area?

How is the traffic in the Baltimore area on Monday mornings?

I must mention that I need to reach NJ by the early afternoon, so that I could get a few hours of sleep before reporting to work.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,673 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

Leaving Washington at 8:00, you should be behind most of the traffic. You might hit a bit of stop-and-go heading around the city, but probably not enough to really worry about.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

The day you will be traveling there is an accident scheduled which will slow down traffic, location tbd.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

As you head up I95 to Baltimore, take I895. It "bypasses" (although in places 95 and 895 parallel each other and can be seen one from the other) some of the traffic heading into Baltimore.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

Many people also travel from MD to Delaware and PA to work. I'd leave a bit later.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,673 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

But do those people leave for their jobs in Delaware and Pennsylvania at 9:00 or later? That's when the OP will be hitting the Baltimore area if he leaves downtown Washington at 8:00 in the morning. If he hits White Marsh and into Bel Air at 915 to 930 I just wouldn't expect much in the way of commuter traffic.

6. Re: How bad is the morning traffic into and out of Baltimore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 28, 2014