We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

I am in DC and am trying to plan a camping trip with friends (mid twenties) in NYC, so we are trying to meet about halfway, would like to be on water, and would prefer adults only because we would like to do some drinking. Any ideas? I am thinking NE MD, SE PA, Northern DE, SW Jersey...

What else... we are looking to go early Fall. It is camping so budget shouldn't be an issue. We would also be interested in maybe a VRBO in the area for the same purpose. Open to suggestions and looking for some hidden gems. Thanks a lot!

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

Elk Neck State park is nice, in Cecil county, MD on Susquehanna River.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

Thank you 0106. My only concern is that we will have alcohol. Will we be very close to our neighbors in the camp ground or is it very spread out? I don't want to be in trouble or have to deal with easily annoyed campers if we are up a bit too late and being a bit too loud. Thanks again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
883 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

Elk Neck is great during the day. It can be restrictive at night for your purposes though.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

It's a bit farther but have you considered Assateague, just south of Ocean City? They have camping on the beach there, but I'm not sure how crowded it would be in early fall. I've never camped there, but just driven out onto the beach and left before midnight. If you have a 4WD SUV, are willing to pay to drive out onto the beach, you can camp overnight in the dunes and not be near anyone at all.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

Private campgrounds are usually a little more liberal when it comes to alcohol but I don't have any good suggestions except to look for something on the Delaware shore.

6. Re: Waterfront camping between DC and NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 31, 2014