We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

Ogden
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

I am traveling to Baltimore in the middle of Sept. to attend the O's vs. Yankees game. I will only have one day to spend there including the game. We fly out of BWI the next day. What do you recommend 3 women do for our short stay? Also are there any recommendations on the best place to buy tickets to the game and a hotel that is close to the stadium and in a safe area. I was told that the Inner Harbor area is the best... any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Inner Harbor
Inner Harbor
3,013 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

What are the interests of these 3 woman? museums? aquarium?just walking around?

You can stay by the airport and just take the light rail right to the stadium or you can stay at any IH hotel as all are within walking distance. There are not many sellouts but unless you are buying online in advance, then the best place is the stadium ticket booths. There are always people outside scalping but that is buyer beware. I haven't had a problem the few times that I have purchased a ticket this way but unless you are experienced, suggest getting your ticket the old fashioned way.

BTW, love POWMOW!! (assuming this to be UT)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

If its Ogden Utah I was going to ask for Farr's Ice Cream, but its probably hard to transport.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

The Hampton Inn on Greene St and Washington Blvd is right next door. Safe area. Not sure what your interests are but I would take the circulator bus down to Harbor East [ or a nice walk ], great shopping and restaurants

Ogden
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check out hotels in both areas and see which ones will work best. I am glad to hear that you haven't had problems with ticket scalpers, I have bought them in the past that way but every place is different. As for our interests I like pretty much everything. We will be coming from a week of visiting DC so probably stuff that is most unique to Baltimore would be nice. And being 3 girls we obviously love to shop:). Any food recommendations you have too is always nice. I love trying new places to eat and am not picky...

Lastly I am from Utah, but sadly do not ski. I know it is such a waste but never really got into it. The mountains are beautiful to look at though.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Ogden
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

Hey for the right price anything is possible right!? Haha, I just coudn't guarentee it wouldn't be melted..

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,076 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

Beeshaws, my dear ---- take this from a female who goes to Baltimore regularly and has been to plenty of O's/Yankees games (and I'm a big time SF Giants fan.....I know, poor me this year).

The BEST place to buy tickets (since the O's are popular this year) is STUBHUB. Let me put it this way, that's where I get my SF Giants tickets when they are sold out. Best prices, best seats. Don't EVER buy a ticket from a scalper. They can reproduce those tickets and you will be left with nothing.

We had awesome seats for the O's/Red Sox game on Sept 30 last year. STUBHUB. The game was sold out but that's where we got them. Lower box seats (cushioned). Outstanding seats on the first base side near home plate. Did I mention STUBHUB???

What kind of shopping? Clothes? Fun stuff? Definitely hang out in Mount Vernon (Charles) and Fells Point and wander through Federal Hill. Take the Charm City Circulator. Do your homework.

www.charmcitycirculator.com

The bus is free and non-diesel and will take you all over the place. Shopping is everywhere!

Man, I'm missing Baltimore (currently in withdrawals as I can't make my two week-long trips there this year). Have a great time. it's an awesome city but if you only have one day, use it wisely!

Stay as close to Camden Yards as you can. Do NOT stay near the airport if you can help it. I stay there all the time as I always have a car and stay for a week (family in the area). For one day ---- stay close to the ballpark. Light rail is too slow.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,462 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Federal Hill Park
Federal Hill Park
498 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

I agree with marly - I would stay in the Inner Harbor area since you will be there for such a short time. The Harbor area has lots of places to eat and stores to shop. If you have time taking the Charm City Circulator to Fells Point would be fun.

You may be able to get tickets at the ticket booth on the day of the game ..but the choices I would pick ar go to the O's website or StubHub.

Have a great time and let us know if you have other questions.

Mentioned in this post
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,462 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

I will be at the Thursday game for the Yankees @ Orioles and staying at the Hilton Baltimore adjacent to Camden Yards. Cannot be any more convenient than that. I bought my tickets off the Orioles website and am happy with the seats I got for the price.

Enjoy your trip. The city should be busy as its not a long ride from NYC so there will be a lot of tourists but that makes it fun too.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Baltimore
Hilton Baltimore
2,742 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Ogden
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I will check out the Charm City Circulator to Fells Point and make sure to get a hotel close to the Inner Harbor area instead of by the airport. Also you will be happy to know that I purchased my tickets through StubHub and they were even below face value:). I guess the only other question I have is just the best way to get from BWI to downtown DC. I am flying in on a friday so I heard that taking the MARC was the best way to do it. I just wasn't sure how crowded it would be carrying our luggage and all because we will be getting in around 330pm and if any of you had a better suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,462 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
North Bethesda...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with 1 day in Baltimore and where to stay

I agree with all of the above suggestions, but would add a few specifics about each of the neighborhoods mentioned. As far as accommodations, I know neighborhood names don't really mean much to out-of-towners, so I would use the Charm City Circulator routes as a guide to very nice, safe, and convenient places to stay. Specifically, anywhere along the Orange Route east of the stadium (NOT west), and anywhere on the entire Purple Route are excellent choices. As others have mentioned, the circulator buses are very clean, friendly, and free, and I highly recommend them as a means of getting around.

As far as activities, Mount Vernon is the very nice cultural district (if you like art galleries, I highly recommend taking a walk up Charles Street to the Walters Art Museum, which is also free), with a few little shops here and there but not a whole lot else. Fells Point and Harbor East definitely take the cake for nice, safe places to stroll and visit shops/nice restaurants, although the Inner Harbor is where you'd want to pick up any touristy items (and is also a nice place, but will undoubtedly be overrun with tourists from NYC). One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned is that you should walk to the top of Federal Hill for an awesome view of the harbor, and then experience the waterfront promenade, which runs from Federal Hill around the harbor to Fells Point and beyond. You can also do this later in the evening once all the shops have closed and, depending on where you end up staying, you can use this as a scenic means of getting back to your hotel instead of just riding the Circulator. The promenade is very safe and well-traveled even into the later hours, and is an experience you will only find in Baltimore.

In response to your last question about getting to DC when you first arrive, the answer depends on where exactly you are trying to go. If you are going to the area around Union Station, then I would take the MARC train (http://www.mtamaryland.com), but do note that you have to take a separate shuttle bus from the BWI terminal to access the BWI MARC train station.

If you are headed closer to U Street/14th Street, L'Enfant Plaza, or Gallery Place, you may find it easier to take the B30 bus (http://www.wmata.com), which runs right from the BWI terminal to the Greenbelt metro station, and from there it's a one-seat metro ride to these places.

If you are going to upper Northwest DC (Woodley Park/Tenleytown/Friendship Heights) or the Bethesda area, I would even recommend taking the 201 bus (http://www.mtamaryland.com), which also picks up right at the BWI terminal, and drops you off at the Shady Grove metro station at the end of the metro Red Line, and from there it's a one-seat metro ride to those places.

You'll want to consider your exact destination and also the schedules for those respective modes in making your final decision, but they're all perfectly fine options even with luggage (especially since you'll be traveling in the opposite direction of the rush hour volume).

Hope this helps and I hope you have a wonderful time in DC and Baltimore!

Mentioned in this post
The Walters Art Museum
The Walters Art Museum
1,281 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,462 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Federal Hill Park
Federal Hill Park
498 Reviews