We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Baltimore?

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trips from Baltimore?

Does anyone have any suggestions for trips within 6 hrs of Baltimore? My parents are coming to visit for a week in April. They have spent a good bit of time in DC, NYC, and Philadelphia. They like nature, history, shopping, and sightseeing. I am trying to think of some unique places to take them. I have a few ideas, but I am interested in other suggestions.

Thanks!

annapolis, md
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

How about taking them to Luray caverns in VA? April will be a really nice time of year to take a drive out there.

Or the Outer Banks in NC? Stop off at the Wright Brothers museum in Kitty Hawk?

Have you done the Annapolis guided history tour? The guides are in their traditional 18/19 century clothes.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

Sounds like they've covered a good portion of the North/South options, so I'll think of some East/West things. 6 hours is a good amount of time...Maybe Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater outside Pittsburgh...then Pittsburgh. It's a very pretty city with some unique attractions. Plenty of history, nice natural setting, and a beautiful drive. They even have department stores downtown!!! It's fairly easy to tie in a Civil War battlefield on the journey...Antietam is close to the I-70 and a side trip to Harper's Ferry or Gettysburg may also fight into this.

Annapolis is fun...and can serve as the gateway for Eastern Shore exploration, Chestertown, St. Michaels, Oxford, Blackwater Wildlife Refuge...then Assategue/Chincoteague. Lots of history travel here, particularly slave stuff...Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad were huge here..Some VERY nice destination restaurants are scattered around the area...antiqueing at Crumpton is always special.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

Thanks for the tips! I had clicked to be notified when there were replies, and I didn't receive anything. I'm sorry that I'm just now responding. I didn't realize I had answers! I'll look into the Luray Caverns, and the PA drive sounds nice. We have been to Annapolis before, but it has been a while. I would love to go back! I think it will be especially nice there in April. I will pass your ideas along to my parents. Thanks for your suggestions! I'm still open to more if you have them!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

You should think about Williamsburg Va. It is about 3-4 hrs away. There is also Amish Country in the PA area. Skyline Drive is also great. Lots of trips are within that time frame it just depends what your looking for.

Baltimore
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

Cape May, NJ is nice for parents. Take the the bay bridge to the eastern shore to Lewes, DE and take the ferry to Cape May. about a 60 minute ride. Cape May is 2 1/2 hours from Balto. I also like the Gettysburg idea if civil war history buffs they can also do, Sharpsburg, Manassas, Fredericksburg, etc.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

How about Colonial Williamsburg? Excellent place for history buffs. Yorktown and Jamestown are nearby, and you would also be near many Civil War battlefields on your drive there.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

go down to calvert county in southern maryland, just an hour away. there are some great nature parks there, Battle Creek Nature Sanctuary and Flags Pons (both on the internet), a maritime town of Solomons Island for food, and Amish country just minutes away.

VAW
Baltimore, MD
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

Harper's Ferry is a short drive (under 2 hours). Lots of charming antique shops, quaint eateries, and great for a day hike.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Baltimore?

Thanks for your suggestions. My parents left last night, and we had a good visit. We spent some time in Baltimore sightseeing. We took an afternoon drive to Frederick, MD. They took a trip down the eastern shore of Maryland as far as Cambridge, had dinner in Annapolis, and spent the night in D.C. We took another quick trip to Rehoboth Beach, DE to the outlet malls, took the ferry to Cape May, NJ, and then drove up Ocean Drive along the NJ coastline. We stopped in Wildwood, Ocean City, and Atlantic City. We're tired, but we had a nice time. Thanks for your input.