We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phillips Crab House at BWI

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Phillips Crab House at BWI

My husband is from MD and can't eat crab cakes anywhere else! I'm sure you understand. I'm from Glenview, IL and don't know the difference. : /

We're flying in at 7:30 pm and I thought we'd eat before taking the shuttle to the Marriott. The problem is that the restaurant is beyond the security check point and our luggage will be on the other side. These days we can't leave our luggage and eat before collecting it or it might be gone. Is there any solution to return to the restaurant? I'm not sure we can even get back through security with used tickets...

Plan B Anywhere else that's close to the Marriott where he can get his favorite? We'll be doing lots of good eating during once we transfer to Georgetown the next day. I'm just trying to think of a great crab cake dinner for him when we arrive and still in the airport would be/would have been perfect! If there's nothing, room service club sandwiches will do. Always good for Seniors after a travel day!

As always, thanks in advance for the ideas!!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Only other location nearby is in Baltimore.

Unless your flight leaves from that gate, unfortunately you can't pass through security to eat there.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
380 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

There is a restaurant close to BWI called G&M. There is always debate about whether they are the "best" crabcakes in MD but there are definitely better then Phillips. They are located within 15 minutes of BWI. Easy cab ride or rental car ride. Get there early or get carryout.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,114 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Timbuktu in Hanover (south of BWI and equally as close as G&M, which is to the north of BWI) is another possibility.

If it's any consolation, I've eaten at the Phillips in BWI 3 times (flying from BWI to OAK ---- I always have to pass it so sometimes I succumb to the temptation for "my last crabcake" and it's handy) and it's horribly expensive and not nearly as good as some of the other crab cake places, IMO.

Hope you get some additional suggestions.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
386 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Definitely try G&M - it's an easy cab ride from the airport/Marriott. Phillips is a tourist trap IMO. G&M has good crab cakes (no filler), is a local favorite, and reasonably priced. I've never actually been there but my husband brought crab cakes to me from their carryout menu and they were great. It's less than 3 miles from the BWI Marriott and just over 4 miles from BWI so nearby. I've heard of Timbuktu that the other poster recommended but never had them personally. I'm sure they are probably better than Phillips though! I vaguely remember a couple of years ago some press that the crabmeat that Phillips uses came from Asia and was not local, but not sure if that is still true.

As a native MDer, I agree with your husband. :) I had crab cakes in Seattle once that were made from king crab and they just weren't the same at all. Not the lump crabmeat that makes our MD crabs so delicious!

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
380 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Like I said in my earlier post there is always debate as to which is the "best" crabcake in Maryland. Honestly it really depends on preference. The main difference between G&M and Timbuktu is the filler used. G&M is more on the dry filler and Timbuktu is more on the wet filler. In general Timbuktu tastes a little more mayo'y. Both locations are much better then Philips, but G&M would be a closer crabcake to Philips style.

Personally I prefer other locations but they aren't within a few minutes of BWI. I prefer locations that actually use MD crabmeat.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,114 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Interesting info on the contrast between Timbuktu and G&M (filler). My standard is my daughter-in-law's crab cakes (lives near Annapolis) so nothing compares but both of those others are pretty good. Like the OP's husband, I can't eat crab cakes anywhere but Maryland which makes it difficult way out West. :=))

Just noticed that the OP didn't say *which* Marriott they were staying in. If the one on W. Nursery in Linthicum Heights, obviously G&M is the answer. If the Marriott in Hanover (Arundel Mills), Timbuktu is closeby. So, it makes sense to make the decision based on which Marriott.

For the OP ---- I've been to G&M well over a dozen times while staying at BWI hotels north of the airport and several of them will take me to G&M. Lots of people do that (and it makes sense) because it is virtually impossible to find a place in their parking lot at times.

Here's a idea, if you are staying at the Marriott in Linthicum Heights (near G&M), call the Marriott a few days ahead and ask them if their shuttle goes to G&M. If so, one of you could go up to G&M and get take-out (sometimes you have to wait in line for 30 minutes or more in the regular restaurant, which you may not want to do after a flight) and then either get a cab back or the shuttle. Or, you could probably both go there (if they do it) and just have the driver drop your bags at the hotel. When we last went to G&M last year, our biggest problem was finding a parking place (to do Take-out). The take-out itself was only about 20 minutes ---- we ordered onsite as the line to eat there was way too long.

Having stayed in almost a dozen hotels around BWI, believe me ----- you would not be the first couple to ask for a ride to G&M. They are used to that. It's "an attraction" in the area.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,501 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Psssst...it's a secret. Don't tell anyone...but when G&M is mobbed, just go down the street a block to Snyder's Willow Grove. They have good crab cakes but aren't on the tourist radar so much. But don't tell anyone I told you. :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,114 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

IrishFan ---- OK, I'm doubled over in laughter. We've done that a couple of times over the years (gone to Snyder's when it would take too long at G&M's) and I guess the food is decent but it reminded me of a long-forgotten roadhouse where the food is too expensive for the complete lack of ambience. We are seniors and virtually everyone there looked older than us. I started to worry about the place. Seemed like a throw-back from the 50's. Old, tired décor, etc. Also, the place was less than half full both times (very slow service, etc.) so I was thinking ---- maybe the locals know something we don't?

We decided last time that if G&M's was mobbed (our last visit to the place down the street was 2 years ago), we'd just turn around and go to Chili's, Bob Evan's or Ruby Tuesday instead of that place.. The ambience (lack thereof) didn't cut it with us. Did we miss something? Since then, we just do G&M take-out. Someone sits in the car nearby (sometimes across the street at the liquor store -- where they say don't park there) and the other of us goes in and waits for take-out.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
225 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

I have to second the suggestion above for G&M or Timbuktu depending on the location of your Marriott. Locals and crabcake afficionados alike tend to eschew Phillips regardless.

GA
Level Contributor
81 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phillips Crab House at BWI

Thanks everyone! Phillips is out and G&M or Timbuktu it wil be. The Marriott has the red and blue bands horizontally across the front. We're staying there because it's close to the airport and we're Rewards members and the hotel has a shuttle. Thanks so much!