We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

Arriving Baltimore in less than two weeks for an Orioles game Sunday early afternoon and whole day around Inner Harbor on Monday. Staying at BWI Hilton Garden Inn. Renting car (we are making the rounds to Philly and DC for ball games.) Trying to decide if we should take the light rail from BWI airport (there’s a free shuttle from our hotel to airport) to Camden Yards for game at 1:35. Looks like it takes about 30 minutes by light rail. Is the light rail a good way to travel into Baltimore versus driving our rental and finding/paying for parking?

Monday would be a similar scenario. Take the light rail to the Inner Harbor. Explore there as well as utilize the water taxi. Our son is 15. Thinking of viewing the historic ships (Constellation and submarine) not sure if we should try to see the other two and the lighthouse. Want to get lunch after the ships. Water taxi to Fell’s Point or Canton for lunch? Suggestions for lunch please. Nothing fancy, no chains, good food (American fare, eclectic, or seafood is fine, nothing exotic), good service, and entrées around $18 or less. It will be Monday; some places may be closed for lunch. Then water taxi to Fort McHenry to explore. Then back to Inner Harbor and catch light rail back to hotel. Any additional thoughts/suggestion for our trip is welcomed. Thanks for your help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

If you are only coming into town for the ball game and Inner Harbor than the light rail is a good choice. It drops right off at Camden Yards and the next stop (Convention Center) is only 3 blocks from the Inner Harbor. For meals I'd try and get out of the Inner Harbor. Canton and Fells are better choices for food if you want non-chain eclectic fare.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

Depending on the team the O's play (and depending on the crowd), parking is usually pretty easy and cheap. I park at the stadium for $10. Take 395 toward MLK Ave, get off first exit (I think it's Russel Street) and it dumps off right into the stadium parking lot. Make a right and then another right and drive down to the lot entrance.

But if it's going to be a crowded game, parking rates are higher and more limited, and I usually take light rail. So I guess it depends.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

as a local, I always take the subway to the stadium (closer for me than light rail) so would suggest the LR, EXCEPT if you will be driving to different areas of town, then I would probably drive in but I know my way around. With an afternoon game, even if you wanted to go to FP afterwards, the circulator bus is probably a better way than trying to figure out our one way streets.

United States
Level Contributor
265 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

Behind the scenes tour at Camden Yards is fun. If you get a shuttle from your hotel to the BWI light rail, then it is a good way back and forth. If you do drive the car to the game, I would reconsider parking at the ballpark itself. If you are going to be doing things afterward coming back to the parking lot at the ballpark after a game is pretty deserted and may be spooky after dark. The hotel decks/garages are an option. We have used the one under the Renaissance in the past. Whatever you do, the free Circulator bus is the way to go from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

We'll give the Light Rail a try. Part of the adventure:) Planning on coming back to our hotel for crabcakes at a restaurant nearby for dinner after baseball game. (G&M I think). Still a dilema over lunch on Monday when at the Inner Harbor area. I was thinking about blue crabs since we have never had them. I looked into reviews for Bo Brooks and Canton's Dockside. Reading that some places don't have crab til after 4p.m.?(If so, lunch not an option there.) The reviews seem so so on these two places. Would like some imput. Checked out L&P's, didn't like the logistics of getting there based on our time frame and plan. If the blue crabs don't work out, how about soft shell crabs? Love 'em. Thanks for your help.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

Crabs will be expensive, over Memorial Weekend larges were $60 and I can easily eat a dozen. You should be able to get a soft crab anywhere. I would check out Nick's in Cross Street Market, walkable from the stadium or the Inner Harbor. They may have some steam crabs. If you're heading to Fells Point try John Stevens for soft crabs.

7. Re: Light rail transportation/lunch suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 30, 2014