We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
284 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

In Baltimore for 1 day only, a Tuesday, with son who is 4 and big into trains and 2.5 year old daughter. Which would be better?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

I think Port Discovery would be what you are looking for.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

go to PD and don't tell your son that you did not take him to one of the best train museums ever until he is 20.

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
284 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

You know that wasn't the answer I was looking for :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

Stay an extra day - easy solution!!

Or hit one in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

I haven't been in PD for some time so really can't comment on that attraction. I am sure that it does not rate as high as the aquarium. The B&O is really fabulous. Is there a significant other who may want to take your D to PD and you take your son to B&O?

baltimore MD
Level Contributor
264 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

B and O more unique to baltimore.....my son used to love to run around between the trains so should be fun for both. Could plan an hour for it, could do both

Philly
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

I took my kids to B&O museum back when they were young and they all loved it. I'm going to put a trip together to bring all my kids with theirkids to the B&O museum. Thanks for the idea

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

We've done both when our kids were that age, about a decade ago. Either will work but I'd say B&O. PD is good but I bet there are similar attractions near you, it's kind of a high-end version of a mall playcenter in a repurposed old building. B&O is actual history and our kids loved it. Daughter will likely be happy if her older brother is, and you'll enjoy B&O more, which matters too. I agree you could do both if you're alloting a full day, or even just 3 hours or so.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

There is also the Maryland Science Center, the national aquarium, the Maryland zoo

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
284 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Discovery or B&O railway museum with 4 and 2.5 year old

Just to follow up, we went with the original advice to try Port Discovery. We should have gone to the B&O railway. As previously stated we have museums like Port Discovery where we live and although the center piece rope jungle was pretty cool, it wasn't worth the stop. Also, we have a memberhsip to our local childrens museum that was supposed to get us in for free through the ACM agreement, well we found out that they changed the agreement as of 4/1/13 and now you only get 1/2 off. Thanks for the advice just the same.