We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Baltimore BWI

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Baltimore BWI

Thinking of renting a car for one-way from BWI to Boston.

Glad if anyone out there who are regulars could suggest some reliable companies

?Thrifty

?Dollar

?Hertz

?Avis

?Enterprise

Thrifty and Dollar seem to give a better rate, are they reliable and the cars safe/clean?

Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

DRANDY, If you only have a week, then that is not much time to tour. Why are you flying into BWI if you only have a week to tour and want to visit Boston and area? It's a 7-8 hr. drive to Boston area and lots of traffic. You will be wasting a good part of your arrival day driving instead of sightseeing. We have done this trip many times as we go to FL and travel the same routes. Fly into Boston and then have more time here.

You can rent your car and drive to Newport if you want to see scenic. Absolutely stunning views along the "Cliff Walk" there.

http://www.gonewport.com/

Newport is an easy place to get around, walkable as well. Parking can be a problem in the tourist season.

We have done that many times as we live an hour away. Visit a couple of the mansions, have some great seafood. You could spend a couple of days in this area, see Newport, then go to Mystic, CT and visit there for a day. Mystic is a very scenic place to see, has a nice aquarium, and is along the water. Here is a website for Mystic:

http://mystic.org/browse/what-to-do

Old Mystic Village and Mystic Seaport are two nice places to see.

As far as the car rental, that should be fine w/ picking up in BWI and dropping off Logan. As noted, you can compare prices on the agencies and go for the best price. Hertz and Enterprise are reliable. My brother has used Hertz when he comes to Boston and I just booked Enterprise for my family for next week. You can comp out some of the travel websites. I checked Southwest for car rentals as my family is flying to BWI on them and they were very high. Sometimes you get good deals and sometimes not. Just have to do your homework.

My friend that visited here in Oct. did her rental from a European site, I can ask her the name. She did a rental for a month, into Reagan, DC and out of NY. They toured New England area also. They wanted to see foliage so went North, Boston 3 days, NY for several days.

As noted, don't bother w/ New Haven unless you are planning to take the train from there. Providence is a compact city but I wouldn't put on my wish list. We have been there as we live not too far from there. If you are a foodie, there is an area called "Federal Hill" which has awesome Italian restaurants (and others as well).

You can end up in Boston and spend the rest of your time here. There is much to see and do in Boston. You can browse the Boston forums and will find many helpful hints there.

You need to firm up your itinerary, etc. and then start planning. If you can stay longer than a week, that would be advisable as you are going to be trying to see too much in a short amount of time. Besides, you have a long flight to get here, spend some more time and enjoy!

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Edited: 9:29 am, April 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

Thanks for the great info.

Had anyone booked cars through 3rd party website?

Traveljigsaw

carhire3000

carrental.com

expedia

lastminutetrave ?

Are the first 3 company the same with different outfits?

I searched both the expedia and lastminutravel site, and their search result pages appeared exactly the same.

Are these sites reliable? As someone said earlier, they may appeared cheaper (by as much as half) but may be the same after taxes and other charges are added. the only difference appeared to be: the car rental companies will tell you exactly how much to pay before you give your credit card details, whereas 3rd party websites require payment before they tell you the total cost? Is that true?

Thanks for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

Found this about traveljigsaw

travel-jigsaw-review.co.uk/car-hire-3000-rev…

rather alarming!

anybody had any experience with them?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
814 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

I rent a car at BWI about 1/ month. I've used Priceline's blind bidding option for some of those rentals. Once got a National rental and the other times Avis. Not aware of the 3rd party sites that you've mentioned.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
814 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

When you use a blind bidding 3rd party site, you state your bid in terms of the base rate per day. All of the rental car companies operate out of the same facility at BWI, reached by a shuttle bus, so the surcharges for all of the companies are identical in terms of the rate. Before placing a blind bid, do a search on kayak or otherwise to find out the best rate without blind bidding. Then use Priceline or Hotwire to bid blind at a lower rate. They will provide you with the surcharge information (local taxes, so-called facility charges, etc) before you commit to submitting the bid. I believe they are required to do so under US law.

Edited: 4:09 pm, April 14, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

the 3rd party or agents I meant were like:

lastminutetravel

traveljigsaw

expedia

carrental.com

etc

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
814 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

With the exception of Expedia, I've never heard of these companies. I've used Expedia for hotel bookings, but not cars; never had a problem but not used it often.

You probably need to repost this inquiry on a different forum, since this is the Maryland forum and I don't know that the companies you mention are particular to Maryland. Perhaps readers on the Budget Travel forum may be familiar with these companies -http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12290-Bargain_Travel.html

As stated before, my experience is that the best car rental bargains are on blind-bidding sites like Priceline and Hotwire. I've used Priceline for car rentals a few times, including rentals from BWI and my spouse has rented from other locales through Priceline, and we've never had any problem.

Edited: 1:21 pm, April 15, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

this is what I found out - traveljigsaw was acquired by Priceline a couple of years ago.

Last Minute Travel offers hotel reservations, car rentals, etc. I have used Last Minute Travel (LMT) quite a few times to book hotels as have several friends of mine. They have excellent rates and some of the listings are no name but you can sometimes figure out the location by photos and description on the website. I have not had any trouble using this website and found them to be reliable. I priced car rentals for my family's trip this week but found them higher than the Enterprise booking we made.

So guess you just have to do your homework, find the best rental and price for you and book it. I would probably not use traveljigsaw and use another agency instead. Last Minute Travel website has international sites listed on their website: www.lastminutetravel.com

19. Re: Car rental in Baltimore BWI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 17, 2014