We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night light rail

Saint Paul...
7 posts
Save Topic
Late night light rail

Hello,

I will be arriving at BWI around midnight on a friday night and am staying at the Mount Vernon hotel (about 3 blocks from the Centre St light rail in downtown.) I was wondering how safe this area is around the light rail station and mount vernon hotel. It would seem easiest to take the light rail and walk the few blocks but I just want to make sure Im not going into a bad area.

Thanks a lot!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,926 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night light rail

I think the system closes at midnight, so I would be concerned with the arrival "around midnight" part of your plans.

Personally I would not ride the light rail by myself that late at night.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night light rail

According to the light rail schedule on the MTA website, the last train departs BWI at 12:40 AM for an arrival in Mt Vernon around 1:20 AM. The train will probably be empty and the streets in Mt Vernon will probably be empty too. That may make for an unsettling journey.

If you can afford it, take a taxi. You'll save a lot of time and you wont have to worry about your safety even though I think you could make the LR trip and walk to your hotel safely. But why risk it?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night light rail

You don't tell us who you are or how comfortable you are in new places. Knowing what I know and being familiar with the city, I would probably take the walk assuming little luggage but I am a middle aged guy who has traveled a lot. But since you asked the question and it is an issue for you, I would have to go with the others and suggest a taxi.

Now, if you wanted to save a couple of bucks, I guess you could take the light rail to the convention center which is right downtown and next to a large hilton hotel so getting off there would be safe and there would be taxi's right there for the last mile of the trip.

4. Re: Late night light rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 06, 2014