We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Stafford, Virginia...
1 post
Save Topic
Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Do you know where/if there is a comparable German restaurant in the DC Baltimore area that is the likes of Hausner's?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Certainly not with respect to ambiance

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Bit of a hike but this is the closest place that comes to mind:

http://www.bavarianinnwv.com/

Maybe Old Europe in DC.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Wow - that brings back memories! There is nothing like that right in the area that I can think of.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

This place has been around forever in Hagerstown, MD -- about an hour and 15 mins drive west of Baltimore.

http://schmankerlstube.com/

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

This video does a good job of showing what made Haussner's so special.

examiner.com/video/haussner-s-restaurant-bal…

jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
248 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Thank you for that link ........ Hausner's was indeed a special place and I went there over 40 years as a child with my family, as a teen/young adult on important dates, and as an adult for business lunches and special occasions. The artwork was unbelievable throughout the restaurant and I always remember the 2nd floor "museum" (as if the whole place wasn't) where they had the self titled "world's largest ball of string". The food was always great and they had some of the best German food you could imagine among their many menu choices. Saurbraten, potato pankakes, rabbit, etc..... but what everyone always came for were the deserts. Oh my lord........I would always eat a desert there and take home a strawberry pie to enjoy (or is that devour?) at home. I will always remember when a girlfriend of mine went into the stag bar and requested a drink....she said if she had to wait for our table, it was only right she get a drink....and she got it indeed! What great memories.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
870 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

I live 2 blocks from the shut down Hausners and it's sad to always walk past it and see it lay dormant. I always imagine what it used to be. I heard that when they closed the doors they auctioned off the art and made over $2 Million. There was talks of renovating it and moving the local Raven Brewery inside and keeping it a brewpub but the bottom fell out of that. I walk past this place daily and just sigh.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Sorry to hear that. Is the Haussner building no longer being used as a cooking school, as I thought they originally had planned to ? I haven't kept up with its status. I have one of their (very comprehensive) menu's I kept as a souvenir. It was truly one of a kind.

Edited: 11:11 pm, October 20, 2012
Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
694 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

Even nearer is the Old Europe in Washington DC:

http://www.old-europe.com/

10. Re: Hausner's Restaurant Baltimore.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, December 15, 2013