We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

I have been dying to go to this museum for years now. I used to live in NJ and now that I am in Northern Virginia, there really is no excuse.... except of course traffic, so a strategic attempt at planning is in order.

I have a friend who will be arriving at BWI at noon on a weekday,in a couple weeks, and I thought that I would like to spend the afternnoon there. I know we both will enjoy it.

However, I am taking into consideration the fact that is is a day of travel for her and that it may wind up being a long day after arriving, getting a bite to eat, and then touring the museum. An alternative that I am considering is staying overnight, but of course expense is coming into play here. I WISH I could make it a real nice trip with selecting a historic B&B but that is less than likely. I spent quite a bit of time on the web Friday night looking at options, and justifying it all. Since it seems like the B&B idea is out of my range, I started looking at hotels. I just don't want something shabby, just reasonable and comfortable for the evening. I noted that some places would require a parking fee in addition to the room rate. YIKES!

Can anyone offer suggestions? I only live 80 miles from the airport, not far, but can be when traffic is factored in. I want the day to be pleasant for her, not exhausting! Thanks for any feedback!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

I feel your pain. I go to the Baltimore area twice a year and still haven't made it to AVAM, even though it's always at the top of my list.

Hope this helps:

You mentioned a couple of weeks from now on a weekday. I hope the week-day isn't Monday as AVAM is closed that day.

Sounds like you're on a budget. What I always do (I usually fly in Wed. and fly out Tues, so stay for 6 days) is rent a car, which you already have, and use Hotwire to stay near the airport. For people who want a romantic week or week-end or want to stay in the Inner Harbor or a neighborhood, my routine wouldn't work but it works for me as I'm there to visit family.

In the past two years, I've stayed at the Microtel, Sheraton Four Points, Aloft and Holiday Inn --- all near the airport and all with plenty of free parking. I only paid about $40/night at the Microtel last year (2-1/2 stars) and $65/night at the Aloft (3 stars) in April. I never pay more than $70 a night. I probably wouldn't repeat the Microtel (safe, but a little cheesy --- huge free parking lot though) but would definitely stay at the Aloft again. Huge parking lot that they share with the Hilton.

If you haven't used Hotwire before, they don't tell you which place you get until you pay BUT if you know where you are going (I stay at BWI, not Glen Burnie or the others) and stick with a 3-star, it will be a nice hotel with a clean, comfortable room. I've never been disappointed, using Hotwire to stay in the area since 2004.

Hope this helps. If you need any more assistance (as Hotwire can be a little tricky if you're not used to it), please PM me.

Have fun with your friend.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

There is also an onsite restaurant that you might want to try. I ate there once for lunch and the food was very good.

http://www.mrrainsfunhouse.com/food

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

I can't say much on the hotel tip but as far as the AVAM goes. Eat there. Start at the 4th Floor of the AVAM and have lunch at Mr. Rain's Funhouse. This place is a great match for the museum. After lunch just make your way down from the 4th floor to the 1st floor. Great combo. They are closed on Monday though, as Marly mentioned.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

One other thing to keep in mind: the AVAM will be rotating exhibits in September.

What does this mean? The All Things Round exhibit will be closing and a new one will be coming in October. As a visitor, I'm guessing you'll lose one area of great pieces but still have the rest of the museum to check out.

Last year I think they offered a discount during the transition.

Come and enjoy - don't miss what I think was the fart pole (it has a fancier name that I can't recall) in the basement of the main building (by the bathrooms). I'll leave the rest to your imagination until you push the button for the first of many times.

Also, don't miss the gift shop, the bra ball, the mega Divine or the robot family and bring some quarters for parking.

RE: Hotel - I'd follow marlySF suggestion of looking at Hotwire (make sure you put down 3 adults or 2 plus 2 kids if you want to be guaranteed two beds) and either stay by BWI (cheaper) or look for something downtown with $35 parking. Not the worst comute from BWI back to Baltimore.

Also if the AVAM has peaked your interest, you might want to check out the Avenue in Hampden - if it wasn't already there John Waters would have had to invent it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

"Fart pole?" Hmmm. Can't wait to get to the AVAM. Will be there in October.

On BWI hotels, if the OP can get something on Hotwire or Priceline near the airport with plenty of free parking, she does live in Virginia so it would be quicker to get away from there, than staying in Baltimore per se. I stay there as family lives in Crofton and BWI is so much closer than staying downtown or in IH. Plus if I want to jaunt to Annapolis, it's closer.

Probably sounds silly but, in addition to tons of free parking at most BWI hotels, I've gotten used to taking Light Rail. An easy "up to town" ride from most hotels in the BWI area.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

Thanks for all thr suggestions.Haven't been able to do anything just yet as I have worked the last few days. I will admit that I am intimidated by Hotwire/Priceline. I never was a gambler or risk taker. How far is the Museum from the airport airea and the harbor? Is parking readiy available or os it on street parking? Thanks for the help. Will let you all know what I wind up doing.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

I typically use Hotwire and not Priceline since I need bedding for 4.

If you use Hotwire just request bedding for 3 adults (or 2 adults and 2 kids) and they will give you bedding so you won't have to share a bed. Also look for a rating above 75% and three stars.

How far is the Museum from the airport airea and the harbor?

30 minutes max depending upon traffic

Is parking readiy available or os it on street parking?

Street parking with meters will work for AVAM and IH or you could find a lot closer to IH.

Try to get to Hampden or at least Fells Point (closer) if you have the time or just walk around Federal Hill (very close to AVAM).

8. Re: Visionary Museum and Accomadation Suggesstions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 13, 2013