We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a bit of travelling on the east coast with my friends during mid-August. We've been looking up how to get from Baltimore to Washington, and from Washington to New York, and Megabus seems to be the cheapest option. I was just wondering had anyone travelled on these routes with Megabus before, and if so how was it, and where exactly did the bus drop you off and pick you up? I've seen reviews of Megabus on Yelp, and they're not the best but all we're really looking for is a safe and cheap way to travel.

Any advice at all would be really appreciated..thank you!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

Megabus station is in White Marsh, MD which is located well outside of the downtown area and unfortunately only one local bus route goes there regularly. To get to DC look into MARC train, Amtrak and B30 bus from BWI. Going from DC to NYC on Megabus shouldn't be an issue as it picks up in downtown DC. The bus is fine, I have used it...it might be atad disorganized but they get you to where you need to go for cheap, and usually on time. Free wifi and outlet plugs too.

MARC train runs on weekdays only, so beware...

Towson, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

If you plan and buy in advance Amtrak is a good option. It's the busiest route in the US with trains every hour or more frequent. Otherwise there are plenty of 'megabus' companies around but the pickup/drop offs might not be good options.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,182 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

lots of posts on the buses. Not sure if bolt goes between dc/balt but it brings you downtown in Balt. the subway, b30, light rail option is 90-120 minutes depending on connections and where you may be picking up metro to get to greenbelt.

lots of bolt buses from balt to nyc. you can check the website. bad- traffic, good- cheap.

these buses do a great business getting passengers up and down the coast including boston and phily

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

I rode Megabus with several friends for the first time on 9/22/12, roundtrip from Baltimore (White Marsh) to New York City. The first issue is that White Marsh is not Baltimore! It is not easy to get from White Marsh to Baltimore City. 2) There isn't nearly enough parking at White Marsh. The lot designated for Megabus passengers was full when I arrived at 8am, with additional cars parked in inventive ways. I took a chance and parked in the MTA Park and Ride lot, and all day I was worried that my car would be towed away or ticketed when I returned. 3) There is no shelter or seating for waiting passengers, so in extreme cold/heat or rain/snow, it would be uncomfortable. 4) There are no signs to tell newbies what to do. There was an attendant there, but she was busy staying out of the sun, so she was between 2 cars, seated, and hard to see. If I hadn't read reviews online, I would not have known to find her and check in to get a number. Many people didn't.

Once on the bus, the ride was fine. I don't know if the Wi-Fi worked, because I don't use it. The legroom was excellent, and the temperature was comfortable. We arrived in Manhattan on time. Leaving Manhattan, the departure point was different from the arrival point, and this was communicated adequately ahead of time. The departure point is in a poorly-lit area, and if I had been traveling alone, I would have been scared to walk there. We waited in line, again at the mercy of the elements with no shelter, nowhere to sit, etc.

On the ride home, the bus broke down in Delaware, a little over an hour from White Marsh, at 10:30pm. We were initially told that the next bus from NYC would pick us up and take us to White Marsh. We knew that wouldn't happen because our double-decker bus was full, and the next bus probably would be, too. Several Delaware State Police officers stayed with us to make sure that mayhem did not ensue when everyone couldn't get on the next bus. Thankfully, people were trying to remain calm and upbeat, because it was completely out of our control. At the urging of the police, the driver called for a status update, and we were informed that an empty bus had been dispatched from DC at 11:30pm to take us all to White Marsh and on to the final stop in DC. We sat on the side of the road for 4 hours! The police brought us bottled water, and we could use the rest room on the bus, but it was uncomfortable and we had no idea when we would get home. All the while, we were worried about our cars being towed away for being in the MTA lot after hours. The next bus from NYC was full, as expected, so no one got on. We waited and waited, and finally the empty bus arrived around 2:45am. We got back to White Marsh at 4:00am, instead of the scheduled 11:50pm arrival. Anyone who planned to use the MTA bus to get home was out of luck. Luckily, our cars were still there and hadn't been ticketed.

If you can afford to use other transportation options, do so. I can and I will. I feel that Megabus should have had a better plan in place for breakdowns, such as a contract with a local charter bus company along the route to rescue stranded passengers. Stuff happens, but they should have been better prepared for it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
883 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

Amtrak. Getting to the Megabus stop by bus from Baltimore will take about 45 min and it's in the opposite direction. Spend just a few $ more and take Amtrak to DC and get there in about 45 min.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

Buses breakdown more than trains and the bus companies run on pretty tight margins so keep in mind you get what you pay for.

If you're okay with that, I'd recommend taking a train (Marc or on the weekend Amtrak) from Baltimore to DC and then maybe a bus (Bolt or Mega) from DC to NYC.

Keep in mind you'll be backtracking as you'll travel back through Baltimore on your way from DC to NYC.

Bolt Bus picks you up by Penn Station close to downtown in Baltimore; so maybe a train from DC to Baltimore and then a Bolt Bus to NYC might work for you if you can start in DC.

Edited: 2:38 pm, September 25, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

I think you guys are still responding to the OP. He/she has already had their trip, last month. The OP is from June of this year.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
883 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

Oh....er...well I just like to talk sometimes. ;)

9. Re: Megabus: Baltimore to Washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, December 14, 2013