We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

My husband and I are traveling to Baltimore for the first time. We plan to stay at the Mount Vernon Hotel. We were told the two options for transportation to Mount Vernon Hotel from BWI is a $30 taxi ride or taking the Light Rail to Centre stop and walking 3 blocks to the hotel. We will have our luggage with us. Is it safe to walk the 3 blocks to the hotel in the afternoon with our belongings?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

Sorry it took so long to respond. I was busy laughing at your post. First off, welcome to Baltimore. It's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. Secondly, good for you for staying in Mt. Vernon and getting out of the Inner Harbor hotels.

Mt. Vernon is a pretty safe neighborhood and much better to look at than the Inner Harbor.

The walk from Centre St. stop to the hotel is not far and it's in a decent part of town. You might cross paths with a pan handler but that will be the extent of it. No worries. Definitely take the light rail over a cab unless you are strapped for time. And really. If you take the light rail you'll pass through areas much rougher than where you will be staying and come across some pretty interesting characters so by the time you get to Mt. Vernon it'll be a cakewalk.

Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

I'm glad I could put some humor in your life! :) I do appreciate your post. I've been reading and some places they tell you to take a cab everywhere, so I wasn't sure about this area. This makes me feel better - Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

If it's any consolation, I'm a single female (mature adult) traveler who goes to Baltimore twice a year and often walks (alone) in that neighborhood and nearby. Was just there a month ago.

Definitely don't believe everything you hear or read --- if you take a taxi everywhere (I've never taken one, in 8 years of visiting Baltimore annually several days a year), you will miss the "charm" of Charm City.

Definitely take Light Rail to your destination (and the FREE Charm City Circulator to get around) and your feet. I do it all the time and have never had a problem, except getting off at the Lexington Market station and walking to the Market. As Mirage continues to remind people --- don't approach the Lexington Market from that direction. If you want to go there, maybe a cab is a good idea -- approaching from the Paca Street side.

As Grav (Mr. Humorous) indicates, you WILL pass through some semi-blighted looking areas on Light Rail, before you get to your stop (such as the one I mentioned in the Lexington Market area) but don't worry, it gets better.

Also, since you're traveling in mid-day with a husband (maybe I should haul one of those along -- since I travel alone), you'll be fine as long as you can manage your luggage. Just study your maps and know where you're going and it's a piece of cake.

Hope you enjoy Baltimore as much as I do.

PS: Light Rail does have a couple of steps getting up into the car. They also have a wheel chair onramp at each stop. I've never tried to use it (since I don't travel LR with luggage) but that might be handy if your luggage rolls and is heavy. Also, LR is a little slow and there are gaps in the schedule mid-day --- just so you are aware.

Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

Thank you for your post! I'm very excited to be traveling to Baltimore. It helps to get advice from those that have been there. Your additional comments have made me feel much more comfortable. Thanks again!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

yes, you will be just fine on the light rail! plus, you'll get a glimpse of camden yards and downtown on your way up to mt vernon. once you get off the light rail, mount vernon has the best architecture in the city (in my opinion), so i think you'll enjoy your walk to your hotel.

also, just double-check the light rail schedule... you probably won't have a problem, but i flew home on a sunday morning once and waited for the light rail for an hour at bwi before i realized it didn't run that early on sundays. : )

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

Thanks for the shout out, marly, but if you want to visit Lexington Market (Faidley's especially) and you're taking the LR, just get off at Baltimore Street walk east a block to Paca and then head north to enter via the Paca Street entrance, which puts you right in Faidley's. The walk from the market station to the actual market that marly described can be a little nerve-wracking and it's best to avoid the walk if possible.

Otherwise, definitely take the LR. It's $1.60 each way. IMO, any time savings that a taxi will get you is not worth the $30 extra dollars unless you're splitting it with 4-5 people.

Here is the schedule...and like chandra said, make sure you're not waiting for it on a Sunday morning.

http://mta.maryland.gov/light-rail

Edited: 4:26 pm, June 01, 2012
Charlotte, North...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

try www.eastcoasttowncars.com - they have a lovely town car service with great concierge service and the price is very reasonable ($1/mile)

8. Re: BWI to Mount Vernon Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 17, 2013