We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

Hello,

Our 7 year old niece and 5 year old nephew will be visiting us in July, and they love animals!.

We live within a couple of hours of Washington DC / Baltimore, and were wondering which zoo would be the best choice - Maryland Zoo or National Zoo?

I have read that they have different animals, and online reviews are mixed as to which is "better." Any opinions?

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

I'd recommend the Maryland (Baltimore) Zoo only if you're short on time or transportation options are limited to take you further than Baltimore.

Otherwise, it's the National Zoo, hands-down. Well worth the extra hour's drive from Harrisburg.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

While the National is the "better" zoo, your niece and nephew will have a great time at the Baltimore zoo. Plenty to see and do.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,967 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

Comparing the two, the National Zoo in Washington is much better, no contest.

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

Irish and I couldn't agree more! And the only admission to the National zoo is parking costs.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

Thanks, everyone! Sounds like the National Zoo is the way to go!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

You probably know that Hershey, PA also has a small zoo.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

Yep - thanks :)

Less looking for "a zoo" and more looking for "a great zoo" :)

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

I used to live within walking distance of the Baltimore Zoo and spent many spring and summer afternoons there. It is a lovely place to visit and still nicely maintained.

HOWEVER, the National Zoo is the place to go for a once in a lifetime experience for the little ones. I would suggest taking the subway into DC. This would be a real treat for the kids as well and is very easily navigated.

Have FUN!! Wish I could go with ya ;)

9. Re: Which Zoo - Maryland or National?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 29, 2012