We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
palm Desert
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
public transportation

Will be at a convention in June. I have a couple of choices of hotel, either the Sheraton,3 blocks from Convention Center or Marriott Inner Harbor, 15 blocks from Convention Center. The Marriott sounds really nice...but is there good transportation between that area and the Convention Center? Another option would be to stay at Henderson's Wharf, but that is quite a distance from Convention Center. If I was pretty sure of good and safe public transportation I would feel a lot better with my choice. Anyone out there have any advice for me?

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation

If you're coming for a convention, I would think that the more remote hotels would be offering some type of courtesy transportation to the convention center. This is something Baltimore has been dealing with for some time because there has always been a shortage of hotel rooms near the convention center. So outlying hotels had to do something to attract conventioneers. Perhaps it would be worth your while to send a quick e-mail or phone call to the ones you are considering. Baltimore has been discussing some sort of free trolly service, but I don't think it's in the works yet. I can't advise about public buses, but - just my bias - I don't think I would want to ride on them.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation

The Marriott Inner Harbor is almost right across the street from the Convention Center. The Marriott Waterfront is further away, but I'm still trying to figure out how they would call it 15 blocks.

It would actually be a pleasant walk from the Marriott Waterfront to the Convention Center, it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes, and the walk is along the harbor, past the aquarium, etc.

palm Desert
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transportation

Thanks, I have booked the Marrott Inner Harbor. It sounds like the walk will be fine. When they told me 15 blocks, I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. Sounds like maybe a mile or so...which would be a nice walk, especially after sitting through conferences all day. Again, thanks for the information.

Maryland
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transportation

I want to make sure you booked at the Marriott WATERFRONT and not the Inner Harbor Marriott if that is the hotel you wanted. Distance isn't 15 blocks.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transportation

"Thanks, I have booked the Marrott Inner Harbor. It sounds like the walk will be fine. When they told me 15 blocks, I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. Sounds like maybe a mile or so..."

Please make sure you know which hotel you've booked. As I stated in an earlier post, the Marriot Inner Harbor is not 15 blocks from the Convention Center, it's more like "a block and a half".

(Now that I'm thinking...is it possible you're reading something that says 1.5 blocks and you're misreading it as "15"?)

palm Desert
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transportation

Nope...my mistake...I booked the Marriott Waterfront. The InnerHarbor was already booked up for this period of time. I called the property and they told me it was a nice 1 mile walk. I think I can handle that. May even enjoy it after a long day sitting through courses. Thanks for your help all...

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transportation

"I called the property and they told me it was a nice 1 mile walk."

I wonder if that was just their "rough guess", or an estimate of driving distance versus walking distance.

It just doesn't seem that far to me, but in any event it's a pleasant walk, you'll be walking through the Inner Harbor area past the Aqaurium, Hard Rock Cafe, etc along the water, not walking along streets for the most part.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: public transportation

Marriott Waterfront to the Convention Center:

As the crow flies...0.83 miles

As the car drives...1.8 miles

As the conventioneer walks...1 mile on the nose

Google Earth rocks. Essential tool for anyone serious about travel.

9. Re: public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 24, 2009