We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay - Near UMBC

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay - Near UMBC

Hi. My kids will be swimming at a meet at UMBC Natatorium in November. where should we stay?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay - Near UMBC

I'd look for a hotel near BWI Airport--lots of discussion in this forum on those (just type in "BWI Airport hotels" in the search box). There are closer and likely cheaper (Super 8, Motel 6) options in the Security area off of the Beltway, but I think you'll find the BWI-area hotels overall to be a little nicer.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay - Near UMBC

If you can not find anything in the airport area too your liking, try the Ellicott City/Columbia area. It is about 10 miles south of UMBC on 95. There are quite a few hotels in the same general area off Route 100. They include Marriotts Residence Inn, Staybridge Suite, Hilton Garden. There are quite a few others in the town of Columbia.

The airport location is about three miles closer to UMBC, the Ellicott City/Columbia area is very suburban with a large mall and lots of dining options.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay - Near UMBC

Thanks for the suggestions. Will we have more traffic staying near the airport? If we want to enjoy our time away from the pool, would we be better off staying near the inner harbor - or is it easy to get downtown for dinner? The inner harbor prices seem quite high.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
650 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay - Near UMBC

I live about 2 min from UMBC. I would not recommend staying in the Security Blvd area. I would suggest Columbia/ Ellicott City area off of Rt 100 as prev writer suggested. They have clusters of hotels with some chain restaurants that would make it convenient. You can hop right on Rt 100 to 1-95 and be at UMBC in about 15 min. Downtown is also an option, but as you have seen prices for an Inner Harbor hotel are pretty steep. If you did stay in Inner Harbor area it is only 9 miles to UMBC [ adjust time for traffic]. You could however, easily get to downtown Baltimore from Columbia or airport area for some sight seeing and dinner. Many parking garages available in the tourist areas[ for a price of course].

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay - Near UMBC

I like Marriot - so the Residence Inn Columbia/Ellicot sounds like a plan.

Thank you for the help.

6. Re: where to stay - Near UMBC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 11, 2009