We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crab cakes with a view

Mass
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Crab cakes with a view

We are visiting in Sept., and we want to enjoy great crab cakes with a view, or at least seated a table. Please do not answer chains like Legal and M & S, we have them in Boston. Thanks,

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
653 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crab cakes with a view

As many have said on this forum before , the best crab cakes do not come with a view I am afraid. Are you going to be in downtown Baltimore? If you want to stay in downtown and near the water I would say Obryki's- can't beat it for location and crabs in all forms. Nicks Fish House- just a few minutes from the inner harbor area has great atomsphere, a water view and good steamed crabs [ never had their crab cakes though, maybe someone else will chime in!}. Romano's- Glen Burnie- no view but a parking lot but the best crabcakes! G+M's- Linthicum, again no view of anything but good crab cakes. Faidley's of Lexington Market are the best for a "real" Baltimore crab cake- but no dining in! { there are some views there for sure but it ain't water} You could take some home in a cooler! Happy Eats!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crab cakes with a view

Here's a tip most visitors (and lots of locals, too) don't know about restaurants in Maryland: Many of the marinas on the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries have restaurants. Most of those restaurants have a nice view of the water, and almost all of them serve crabcakes.

This website lists the marinas in the centeral Maryland area that have restaurants. Deep Creek Restaurant is one our favorites.

baydreaming.com/central_maryland_marinas.htm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crab cakes with a view

I looked everywhere for crab cakes with a view for my wedding rehearsal dinner and I vote for Nicks Fish House. The view is lovely and the place is run by a guy who has had a kiosk in the Cross Street Market (local food market) for years. It is in a strange place - (non-residential, kind of hidden in industrial part of town), but once you get there, it's worth it - it's right on the water with a view of the S. Hanover Street bridge.

The other possible place is Bo Brooks in Canton, but it definitely feels more "chain-like" (even though it isn't) and the view is not as good (it's in a Marina blocked by lots of boats).

I hate to disagree with Anga, but Obryckis is AWFUL - not only no view, but terrible food as well.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crab cakes with a view

It's in the Hyatt, but it has gotten pretty good reviews "Pisces" restaurant. It has an awesome view, and serves crab cakes albeit gourmet style with a gourmet price tag.

Berea OH
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crab cakes with a view

If you can be happy with amazing crabcakes in a gorgeous setting, reserve a table in the lush garden of Kali's Court (Thames Street). Exceptional food, service and atmosphere.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crab cakes with a view

yes, the best crabcakes, worth the drive and no view, at about 13 each and the size of softballs or bigger,

is mo's fisherman's exchange in carney md, in satyr hill shopping center.

other good ones with no view:

bluestone

au pointin still

downtown with a view, rusty scupper

windows (now closed due to renovations)

harbor court

kali's court is very nice and not a great view about ablock away from the water in a fun area.

Baltimore, MD
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crab cakes with a view

John Stevens in Fells Point on Thames has great food and is one of my favorite restaurants/bars. You can go really casual and eat in the bar or more formal and eat in there dining room or enclosed patio. The view can be achieved with a walk along the water before or after dinner.

New York, NY
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Crab cakes with a view

I went to Inner Harbor in July and was disappointed that they didnt have more of the Joe's crab shack type/non-chain type restaurants.

They have a Philips but to me that's another chain and I wasnt that impressed. Not much for what you pay ($25 or so for 2 crab cakes which were FULL with crab meat but with no salad, side, or anything else). Still like the crab cakes in Cape May, NJ better than Maryland!

There is one place with outdoor seating near Phillips, attached to the mall type place but overlooking the water. Food was good there and wasn't a chain, as far as I know. Think was J Paul's? More of a bar and I didnt have the crab cakes but nice view of harbor. Everything else is Pizz Uno and Cheesecake Factory. Maybe the crab cake and the view can be separate dining experiences :)

Have fun!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,451 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crab cakes with a view

"I went to Inner Harbor in July and was disappointed that they didnt have more of the Joe's crab shack type/non-chain type restaurants."

Did you just pick "Joe's Crab Shack" as a bad example? They ARE a chain, but Baltimore doesn't have one...

The Inner Harbor isn't the place to go for too much local flavor for restaurants. You're right, most places are chains. Including J. Pauls, which is from the same group that owns 7-8 other places around DC and Baltimore.

it's kind of like going to Times Square in New York and expecting local cuisine - ain't gonna happen! Next time post before you go and tell us what you're looking for, you will get lots of advice here about local restaurants away from the Inner Harbor.

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Crab cakes with a view

no view, but the crab cakes at the Box Hill Pizzaria in Bel Air. all crab meat are to die for. all crab meat wonderful sides all included.

go there at least once a week. right on route 924 off of 95. only a 1/2 hr + - drive . very congenial waiter/waitress. not down town prices

ron h

-_

=

-