We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Report 2- Astoria and Beyond

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Local Report 2- Astoria and Beyond

Yesterday I went into Astoria, and went to the new Walgreens, it is nice, and I have a feeling it is going to majorly complete with Rite Aid, so we will see if either beats out the other. Fred Meyer has their new gas station in over there in Warrenton and is going to compete heavily with the Costco gas station, the prices were the same at 3.03 per gallon.

I also wanted to mention that at Complete Photographer when I went in last week, I noticed they sell old photos of the area, and will matte and frame them right there. So for a nice souviner go take a look.

Today I headed into Portland for a Dr visit, and stopped at Trader Joe's. It was my first time visiting there, I usually stop at New Seasons. If no one knows what these are (stay away... Just kidding!), they are organic (primarily) grocery stores). I picked up a new brand of beer for DH, and some Italian Pinto Gris for me. Also found so unique foods that I hadn't seen before. It was a nice little store, but very narrow main Aisles, but everyone was really laid back. Along with the narrow Aisles are the narrow parking places, on a parking lot at a slant. I rescued my car before it hit an oncoming car as I was unloading. And I thought I had secured it pretty well after about 5 minutes of figuring how to position the cart.. LOL. Anyway it is smaller than New Seasons and doesn't have a deli or bakery or meat counter, but it is a nice little place, with it's own brands. Does anyone else visit these Organic Grocers? Are there others I am unaware of?

Dh took the boys to Gnat Creek Campground, it is a perfect out of the way place, on HWY 30 and easy for an overnighter for us. If East of Astoria, stop for a picnic, or check out the little fish hatchery a little was East of the Campground. There is another fish hatchery in Knappa that is called Big Creek Fish Hatchery and it is awsome to see the salmon coming into.

That's it for my adventure into the "BIG CITY of Roses" for today, I only got turned around a few times, but made my Dr's apt on time, and hopefully will have good results from his diagnosis.

News-

Astoria-

Astoria Music Festival June23rd -July 2nd (includes Astoria, Seaside and Cannon Beach) _ just saw I sign for it yesterday, I didn't know we even had one! :)

Other News-

1- Snow in the Cascades--- Spring Skiing anyone!

2- Seaside Road work on Wahanna Rd (Rd, needed to get to the Hospital so double check when you arrive if the construction is still in progress, so in an emergency you don't take the wrong way!)

3- Mt. St. Helens sent a 16,000-30,000 ft plume into the air yesterday after a 1.2 quake inside the Mt. So if visiting be aware, and call if concerned.

4- Balloons Over Bend- Watch or ride in Hot Air Balloons June 10th and 11th lift off is at 6:30am, and lots of other fun events, so if down in that area, Look UP!

---------

Weather was wonderful yesterday, calm and sunny with a slight breeze. Today was nice afternoon in Portland was muggy and showers. Same here in Astoria but a bit cooler, though the early part of the day was nice.

Beaverton, OR
12 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Local Report 2- Astoria and Beyond

Nope, no New Seasons at Bridgeport Village, pitty as it is far better that Wild Oats in my opinion.

The people who built Bridgeport Village are working on many additonal sites. They have also built Gresham Station (which is not done yet as they keep adding condos and store fronts) and will be building the Happy Valley site. Happy Valley is the next HOT spot in PDX. If you want a single family dwelling in a high density area...this is it. Not my cup of tea. I like my house on those old fashioned lots where my neighbors are far more than 6 feet away.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Local Report 2- Astoria and Beyond

Wow. I just started reading this thread tonight. Some pretty fancy places mentioned. I will pass ideas on to my wife.

Just want to note Rite-aid has cheaper beer.

we emptied our 8 oz vinegar this week after several months maybe years. She found wonderful price at costco on two 32 oz containers, I just love costco. so practical///

13. Re: Local Report 2- Astoria and Beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 15, 2009