We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Topic
phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

I think my last eamail inviting you out for a drink didin;t post so I am extending invitation again.

I have one last decision to make.

I'll be driving from newport to either ecola beach or astoria on the 5 of july.

I can stay at either ecola st park lodge on the 5th and cleminitine on the 6

or both nights at the clemintime july 5 and 6

I have been told that I can do all that needs to be done at ecola on the way from newort in two hours.

Is there enough to do in Astoria for 1 1/2 day nature /adventure/. spa wise off the beaten track that would fill up this time,/ or is one night and 1/2 day enough? (staying in astoria on the 5th of July and day of 6.)

THANKS!

Thanks ken

Level Contributor
35,476 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

We had family living in Kailua-Kona for ten years. Kathy, have you been to Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe? We're weekly regulars there when we're on the coast. Love the Pink Martini music they play there, also!

We've been discussing a trip to Maui in Dec. to celebrate our 25th! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

I think it is spelled Gearhart... :O)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

Well, you will definitely have to take lots of photographs of your trip, syrahgirl.

I lived in Hawaii, I have never gone back. Funny, now we are so much closer than when we lived in NY, I still have no interest..but the South Pacific sounds good LOL

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

I was looking at syrahgirl's great additions to the Washington page and found this link. I was born and lived in Hawaii for many years. Been back several times with the kids.

My biggesty tip is to not go to a hotel or resort. Rent a house on the beach for about the same as a decent room at a beachfront hotel. Not part of a house, like a room or the upstairs - the whole house. We stay for about 15 days each time and it's like we're locals with white NW skin.

There's nothing like walking out your front door to the beach. It takes us about two years to save up the money. We do all of our own cooking from local markets, with one or two lunch truck visits.

Sorry for droning on. If I was celebrating my 25th in Hawaii, I'd want total privacy and the lanai open all night without interuptions.

PS - Photography students at U of H would jump on the opportunity to take nice pictures on the beach for about $25. Email the instructors directly and ask.

BoeingDad

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

PDXWineauxs--I have not stayed at Gearhart By The Sea, but we have rented a home in the Highlands area. From what I have seen on here, I think you would enjoy that! It is a gated community between the golf course and the beach and is really nice. Large, beautiful homes and a boardwalk to the beach.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

Gearhart's beach is certainly more quiet than Cannon Beach's, but it lacks the character. And from most spots, it's a hike through the small dunes and beach grass to get there. The other thing about Gearhart is that you can drive on the north end beach. We were surprised last weekend when we turned off 101 to the beach at Astoria Country Club, then drove along the beach all the way into Gearhart, to just south of the golf course's clubhouse. Having said that, personally, I don't like sharing a beach with cars.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

mistletoe--You described it perfectly, but I am not surprised since you know the area so well. The cars on the beach thing brought back a really funny memory. My niece is glued to her parents...and we were all playing on the beach when her parents decided to drive down it. They didn't realize she would get upset by them leaving her and they drove off. She literally ran as fast as she could to catch up, and kept going and going. She looked like a dog chasing a car. Even her parents still laugh at this story. Yes, sharing the beach with cars is interesting. I know we had to be extra careful of the little kids to make sure that they watched for vehicles before running down to the water.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: phirl, sarahgirl, mistletoe

mistletoe, I realized we had another interesting story on that same beach. We had a big bonfire there one evening, with our family reunion. We saw a lady walking up from Seaside and she basically joined us in the bonfire. We thought it was a bit odd, but then it got bad. She was obviously on drugs and behaving very strange. Finally, we decided we needed to leave, since we had very young as well as older people in our group. We had a few cars down on the beach, and she tried to get in one with us when we left! She told us she came from Seaside and wanted to join us! Anyway, the stronger family members sheilded the younger/older ones and we obviously did not let her leave with us. We saw her in the morning on the beach and she was still strung out. We were glad to have cars there to get away from her quickly, lol!