We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Hi. On a website called "romantic-oregon-coast" I read that the best place to fish includes the Columbia River where you can catch fish of around "5 feet". I booked two nights in Astoria on our road trip up the coast from SF to Seattle because my husband is fisherman in his heart (but not too much practice.) Is that a good spot? What outfits do you recommend? What tips do you have? Is Astoria a good point?

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Hi, where are you staying in Astoria? Tiki Charters is a good place to check out for your fishing excursion. my husband enjoyed one last summer that left out of Gearhart,also. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for the Astoria area. We are in Seaside now and the sun is coming out, I hope you enjoy your time in the area! :)

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

<catch fish around "5 feet"> hmm...they must be talking about sturgeon fishing. Fishing for sturgeon is great fun because you usually hook several, but most must be released because you can only keep the ones between 4 and 5 ft. However, sturgeon fishing on the lower Columbia River is now closed until Oct 1.

Depending on when you will be here, you could probably get in a day of salmon fishing at Buoy 10.

Check the Washington or Oregon Fish and Wildlife Departments for salmon fishing season in that area of the Columbia River.

www.wdfw.wa.gov

www.dfw.state.or.us

There are many fishing charter boats in the Astoria/Warrenton/Hammond area in Oregon and across the river in Ilwaco/Chinook area in Washington.

Try Englund Marine in Astoria for the most up-to-date information. www.englundmarine.com

503-325-4341 --Good Luck!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Kitters--Too bad there isn't a designation for being a fishing local expert! You would be a shoein for that:) DH and DS went sturgeon fishing on the Columbia a few times this year and one day all 4 of them in the boat had one on their hooks at the same time.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

mtngrl--We've done that, but not this year. Sturgeon fishing has been crummy around here. Just a few small 30-36" 'shakers'. We'll try again tomorrow.

Where were they fishing? Did they get any 'keepers'?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Hi.

The second week in August, we are coming up from the south up the coast. Right now the plan is:

-Florence (overnight)

-Newport -a quick look around?

-Depoe Bay

-Warrenton for two nights.

I booked Warrenton so we can tap sturgeon but if they are not good this summer, I have some flexibility.

Is Newport or Tillamook or Cannon Beach better for fishing?

Thanks!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Or is Astoria/Warrenton/Hammond good enough?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

kitters--I don't know where they were, except on the Columbia. Our neighbor has a big boat so they were out in that. They had a couple keepers, but that day they didn't. One day our DS got a huge one, but it was a Sunday so he had to let it go. Our neighbors are great and share much of their catch:)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Newport is the biggest fishing port in Oregon, based on annual catch.

No fishing in Cannon Beach, other than maybe on the beach.

Florence is not on the ocean.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Drat, should have read "Oregon coast".

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for great fishing in Astoria/Columbia River

Stick with Astoria/Warrenton/Hammond.

I just looked at our Washington Fishing Rules Pamphlet. Sturgeon fishing at Buoy 10 (Astoria OR/Ilwaco WA area) is catch and release only, but sturgeon fishing is a lot of that anyhow. I know folks who go down there and have good luck fishing for sturgeon in that area.

However, the first couple weeks in August should be good salmon fishing. Bouy 10 is supposed to be one of the premier salmon fishing areas.

The fishing rules are the same for both Oregon and Weshington on the lower Columbia River.

That's a 40 lb chinook salmon I'm holding. I caught that a couple of years ago. The next day we went back to the same spot and I caught another the same size. DH was really jealous--all he had caught that early in the season was a 7 lb jack salmon. :-)