We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Port to Town

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Port to Town

Is there a downtown area that would be fun to visit for the day? Would it be easy to get there from the cruise port?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Port to Town

the pearl would be a good area to walk around and find a restaurant to eat at --- so would sw 23rd

im sure there will be taxis waiting at the cruise port

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Port to Town

i posted thinking you were asking about portland -- if you are asking about astoria i got nothing

Level Contributor
34,484 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Port to Town

Downtown Astoria is lots of fun, there are antique shops, restaurants, etc. There is the Maritime Museum that is also a big attraction in Astoria, you could catch the trolley and ride it along the waterfront, it makes various stops along the way.

If you like to wine taste, check out Shallon Winery or the Cellar on 10th Street. The Silver Salmon Grill is a nice place for a meal in downtown Astoria, there is also T Paul's Urban Cafe, Drina Daisy and Fulio's for some great Italian food. www.oldoreogn.com is a nice website for the area.

I hope you have a great time on your travels! :)

Level Contributor
34,484 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Port to Town

Sorry, www.oldoregon.com is the website. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Port to Town

Depending on arbitrary things such as which way the wind is blowing, the trolley will take you downtown for a buck if it's running. Seems like they are sometimes absent for no reason sometimes, but it's quite the fun little trip. I personally love downtown astoria. The Astoria Coffeehouse serves Stumptown Coffee.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Port to Town

Even if the trolley's not running, it's less than 1.5 miles to the center of town. Stop at Josephson's along the way to pick up some of the best smoked seafood you'll probably ever taste.

Be nice if you could make it up Coxcomb Hill to the Astor Column. Great view from up there, plus you can climb the Column and sail balsa-wood airplanes from the top. Some of us never grow up! ;-)

If the trolley is running, you could take it to the end of the line, walk out Pier 39 to Rogue Ales Pub for una mas cerveza. And a darn good cerveza at that. Unless you're into fruit and berry wines, I think you'd prefer that over Shallon Winery.

Are there any excursions available from the cruise line? Maybe we could give you some input.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Port to Town

>> And a darn good cerveza at that. <<

Try "muerto hombre", una mas cerveza!

aka Dead Guy Ale ;-)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Port to Town

Thanks for all the info ! ! !

Can't wait to get to Rogue Ales Pub..... I sure hope I can find my way back to the ship at the end of the day ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Port to Town

I prefer Ft. George Brewery to Rogue. It's easier to get to if you don't have a car and the food is much better, in my opinion. Beer's kind of a toss-up.

Level Contributor
34,484 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Port to Town

The food is good at Rogue, I loved their clam chowder here and the views are very pretty of the Columbia River from the dining room and pier. :)