We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

We will be visiting Astoria in May....anything we should try to see?

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

Personally, my husband and I love to visit the Flavel House Victorian Mansion. They have tours offered by the Historical Society and a small museum of articles found in the house. We also like to stop by the "Goonies" house as well since that was a favorite movie of ours in the 80's. There's the Lewis and Clark trail you can follow with guides at Fort Clatsop (short drive), as well as the Peter Iredale shipwreck that still rests on the beach from when it was shipwrecked 100 years ago. There is also a Marineland I believe, but we've never visited it. You can drive across the bridge to Washington State just for the fun of it, or cruise along the coast or drive through the State Park area and visit where the bombs hit in the War. If history is something you love, this is a great place to be since it was the first settlement west of the Rockies, and where Lewis & Clark wintered. You can even visit Fort Stevens and view the old barracks and compounds they used in the WWars and before. They have lots of neat little restaurants and pubs to visit in town, and the Hotel Elliott is worth a stay, it's gorgeous. :) Even with our 5 yo, 3yo, and infant we have fun doing all these things. So that is what we do in Astoria.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Elliott
Hotel Elliott
423 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Pacific Northwest
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

For an unbelievable panoramic view, visit the Astoria Column:

www.oldoregon.com/Pages/AstoriaColumn.htm

Lots of other places to consider on that page as well. I like just wandering around seeing the architecture downtown and on the hills.

Mentioned in this post
Astoria Column
Astoria Column
2,154 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

Mpsey around the quaint downtown. Eat in the funky resturants. Check out the Astoria Column and if you have time and a vehicle check out that amazing bridge!

Mentioned in this post
Astoria Column
Astoria Column
2,154 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Level Contributor
37,801 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

Astoria is my second home. I adore this place! We have been visiting Astoria several times a year and own a small, second home here. Here's what I would suggest as must-sees:

1.) The Columbia River Martime Museum

2.) The Flavel House and the Heritage Museum (you can get a pass for both places)

3.) For Clatsop-take the shuttle to the Fort. You could easily spend an afternoon here.

4.) The Astor Column @ Coxcomb Hill, climb to the top or just take in the gorgeous views from the top of the hill

5.) Wine tasting-at the Shallon Winery, also the Cellar on 10th Street

6.) If you like spa treatments, check out the Columbia River Day Spa

7.) Ride the trolley along the waterfront, it's great fun and very informative!

8.) If you are there on a Sunday, check out the Astoria Sunday Market

Great places to dine include:

Fulio's for Italian, the Ship Inn for the fish and chips, Cannery Cafe, T. Paul's Urban Cafe, and the Silver Salmon Grille.

Take the bridge over to the WA coast and check out the 42nd Street Cafe in Seaview, WA. It's excellent!

I did a little dining excursion last summer where we dined out 23 consecutive nights and I found lots of gems!

Any other questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy your time in Astoria!

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Heritage Museum
Heritage Museum
81 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Silver Salmon Grille
Silver Salmon Grille
639 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Level Contributor
37,801 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

We just returned from another visit to Astoria. If you like to wine taste, do NOT miss the Vintner's Room at the Hotel Elliott. They have flights of all different wines from all over the world. We enjoyed a Pinot Noir flight (there were three different ones just for Pinot Noir.)

The also have a cool cabana room where you can smoke cigars if that interests anyone in your group! Take in the gorgeous views from the rooftop garden there. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Hotel Elliott
Hotel Elliott
423 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Washington USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

I have lived in Astoria area for several decades and I still like visiting all the places the other informal guides have suggested.

There is something I have not visited however. There is a place down near the waterfront, in downtown, where you can actually go underground in Astoria! Maybe you'll beat me to it!

If you are a fan of radio, there is a "community radio station," called KMUN, which is near downtown at the bottom of 14th street.

I volunteered there for about 3 years and they have many volunteer programmers, it is truely a community resource.

Ask about the Troll Radio Review....I think that's what it's called, definetely kid oriented!

Katy

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
7. Re: Visiting for a day-whats a must see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:06 am, October 03, 2005
Get answers to your questions about Astoria