We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Topic
Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

Some cool news on Astoria: Astoria was named on national TV on Aug. 9 as the top place to retire in the nation.

The piece was aired on Good Morning America. The top five were: 1. Astoria -for the Best place for people who want some peace and quiet.

2. Sparks, Nev. Best place for physicall active adventure seeks.

3. Amelia Island, Fla. Best place for beach and nature lovers.

4. Yaletown (Vancouver) Canada Best place for the young at heart

5. Ann Arbor, Mich. Best place for retirees looking for culture.

Interesting! We spent six weeks this summer in the area. Will post some highlights of our stay a bit later. Half of our family is in the area now for an extended stay in the Astoria/Seaside areas. Lucky ones! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

Leave it to the national media!! Didn't you also post a thread not to long ago about Astoria being named one of the top tourist destinations in the country? Seems a bit of a conflict between peace and quiet, and top tourist destination.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

For the second time today... where's my proofreader???

Portland
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

Wow I hope people check the rainfall, and the gray. I love the north Oregon Coast but boy, the winters are long and gray and wet. I guess it depends on what kind of retirement a person wants: I will want to be closer to an airport, closer to museums, closer to (I hate to say it) first-class medical care than Astoria.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

I have been to Sparks Nevada ( for a minute) and to Amelia Island ( a few times) and this makes me very curious about Astoria.

Sparks Ne was awful as much as I can remember, boring and hot. Amelia Island is beautiful with the elegant and luxurious Plantation and great restaurants.

I wonder where Astoria and Seaside ( which we visited last year) will fit in this mix..

I thought that Astoria was a more honky tonk sort of town and Seaside was a sleepy beach town?

As a total newbie, please excuse all of my generalizing and confusion :D

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

Here's my take on it, Scarlett. If by honky tonk you mean cheesey and touristy, that more closely fits Seaside. Someone on this forum from the east coast compared it to a town on the Jersey shore a while back.

Up until 10-20 years ago, Astoria's then vibrant economy was driven by commercial fishing, shipping, and lumber. Today those industries are a fraction of what they were, so it makes sense that Astoria has quieted down. One has to credit the town's government for efforts to revitalize the economy through tourism, but it hasn't happened yet. And the service jobs that are being created are not the living wage jobs they've replaced.

Sparks, Nevada? Isn't it just a suburb of Reno?

chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

I am most suprised about Astoria,it really doesnt have much to offer.I was there often as my sis lives there in a spooky grey house, on a steep hill overlooking many,many a wires.We leave the town to visit rest. and shops etc and she goes to Portland for medical care.I am really not sure if her house is indeed grey or it just is a color that blends in with all the grey outside.It does have more rain then Portland I'm told.Something about the location at rivers mouth or the like.I find Astoria most depressing.Sorry.And I'm originally from drizzley ol Ireland!!!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

I don't get the draw to Astoria either. I think honky tonk is a good description. Seaside is more "carni".

Scarlett--I think you are thinking of Cannon Beach as being more sleepy. It has a much calmer feel than Seaside. Seaside is like a bad dream that won't go away...constant hustle and bustle and tacky boardwalk feel to it.

Now Amelia Island I can definitely understand being high on a list. Our son was born there and it is beautiful. It was our saving grace while being stationed down there.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

mtngirl, you are right, sorry!! We were in Cannon Beach last year and loved it. In fact, we are planning to take the Pup and drive out tomorrrow and enjoy one of the last sunny hot days in Portland by the seashore.

mistletoe, NJ beaches made me shudder so I will have to think this one over :) lol

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

Scarlett--Yes, you better go tomorrow. It will rain after that. I know this because our windows are getting washed and central air is being installed, lol! So you only have tomorrow, lol!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Astoria ranks No.1 Place to Retire

LOL, mtngrl, that is definitely a sign of impending bad weather!

If you are at Cannon Beach tomorrow- look for a woman being dragged down the beach by a large poodle LOL