We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

Players-

MIL - 60s

SFIL (stepfatherinlaw)- 60s

DH- 40s local

me- 30s local

DS's - age 5 (on the 31st) and 6

On the 30th we waited for MIL and SFIL to arrive from Redmond. They left fairly early, to drop off their pup at the kennel. They drove 1-5, in taking Santiam Pass they notice the construction there, but passed by without having to stop. They did run into road construction on hwy 30, but it wasn't nearly as bad, as the wait between Knappa and Astoria on hwy 30 they ran into later in the trip.

They stayed at the Red Lion Inn in Astoria. My MIL had stayed there before and enjoys the view very much. I noticed the pillows are super, and they provide about 6 per bed.

They called us about 2pm or so and we headed into Astoria. We decided we were all hungry so we took them to my DH's favorite restaurant.. when we have money. The Silver Salmon. Our favorite dish there, the Coconut Beer Prawns is no longer an appetizer. But is provided as a entree, also it is in a three seafood dish with Salmon and oysters, and in a Salad.

Here is a link to the dinner menu, some items have changed - www.silversalmongrille.com/dinner.ivnu#eight

We all started with a drink - SFIL got a beer, DH got a Martini with Gin, MIL got a Lemon Drop, and I got a Cosmo, kiddos even got treated to Shirley temples.

MIL and I both got the Tropical Prawn Salad

DH- Silver Salmon Seafood Trio, but substituted Halibut for the Salmon, he loved every bite. He also had the chowder as his side.

SFIL- got the Appetizer of the butter clams.

Kids

5yo got the Hamburger (how boring, and messy when they put on their own ketchup and mustard!), He also spilled his water twice, and I had to find the waitress for a towel. The matredee (sp) came out and helped clean it up.

6yo after my own heart got the kids shrimp and chips. YUMMY. He ate every shrimp.. the kids always ask, where are the chips. They have yet to get convinced that fries are chips.

After that I thought we were super stuffed.. with all that, but of course the kiddos wanted dessert, so we split The Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake, and the lemon gellato with lemon glazed shortbread.

Oh man. I gained lbs just looking at the food. I did eat all my salad. I had had it before when I went with DS6yo and he had had the fish and chips that time I think. So I knew it was good and the same good prawns. For some reason it is the one "meat" my body can handle.

Anyway, we were all pretty full after that, and the IL's were tired from their drive up so they headed back to their hotel and we drove home.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

July 31st (ds 5yo turned 5 today... Happy Birthday!).

My MIL and SFIL drove out to our house that AM so we could plan our day. They wanted to see the beach (MIL), do shopping for kids birthdays, and everyone agreed they wanted to see Ft. Clatsop.

MIL had breakfast at the hotel (continental/ a muffin). SFIL doesn't eat breakfast. So I fed the kids and I cereal at the house before heading out. My DH wakes about 2am woke up about 12:30am so I didn't worry about food for him. I probably should have as he was starving by the time we got to lunch.

So headed out about 9 or so to Ft. Clatsop. It was DS5yo's Birthday so we told the first worker there, and he planned a bit of a surprise. We went in and it was cheaper than the website. Kids are free and adults were $2 or $3 I forget. We were in a rush to get to the first firing of the rifle at 10:30 otherwise we had to wait till 1:30 and we were not going to be there that long. We took a few pics, and the guide was very funny, getting the kids involved. My kids just wanted to climb the tree. But finally realized what was going on.

Then the other guide came and they fi red the black powder rifle.

After the firing he called out for an Isaac, and came over to my DS5yo and brought him to the middle. My son did the cutest little "ok mommy?" wave to me and I said.. it is ok. He went in the middle and they all gave a HUZZAH cheer for him. It was great.

Then we looked at the fort. No one wanted to walk to see the canoe except me and the kids, so we skipped it and went inside to the exhibits. They have a fun trunk before you go into the main exhibit hall that has dress up clothes on it, I helped the kids dress up and took pics, they loved that. No one wanted to watch the video.. and I thought .. geez.. what a way to rush.

But everyone was hungry, as was I and I knew service was slow where we were going because she is the owner, cook and server and does everything fresh. Since they wanted FISH and Chips.. do you know where I suggested? If you know me you would know.... KIM's Kitchen. She is not online, but has seafood and Korean and is located in Hammond at the Mooring Basin there.

I was a bit bummed as I was not sure I could eat the fish.

DH & SFIL had the Rouge River Dead Mans Ale, rest of us drank water, but Kim, bless he heart brought a coke for the kids to split.

SFIL - Oysters (he wouldn't share ;))

MIL - Halibut Fish and Chips - She raved about it, loved it!

DH- Oysters (he wouldn't share either) - He did say he had eaten better, but that is because our neighboor used to have a party every year and her mother did the best oysters in the world.

Me- So I got the Vegetable stirfry with tofu. It was very good and I took home half.

DS's- they got a Fish and Chips and split it, there is no kids menu. My 6yo loved it, my poor birthday boy wanted nothing of it, only wanted the fries.

After lunch which took quite awhile, as again everything is done fresh, we went to Ft. Stevens as it is the closest beach access.

They were not interested in the Battery, riding bikes, the bird watching bunker, or the south jetty, so we headed right to the Peter Iredale parking lot.

We went and chatted while the kids rolled down the hill, and got sandy. Yes I let them take off their shoes.. I did too. What is going to the beach if you don't take off your shoes. Not sure my the rest of the "adults" left theirs on. We did see kids in the water.. BRR. One 9yo or so got into a swimsuit and went in for like 2 seconds with her mom.. LOL, got right back on the blanket and put on a poncho.

Next DH took the kids home as we had been going hard since we woke basically, and since he woke right after midnight he was wasted. SFIL wanted a nap too, so DH dropped him off at Red Lion. And the ladies were free to play.

So.. what did we do? Windowshop and SHOP. First we headed to Fred Meyer, it is really the only store with Monster Trucks of any size and quality. Yes DS5yo had picked at theme for his birthday.. Monster Trucks. MIL found a great remote control one, I picked up a couple small ones to add to the presents I already had, and she got a present for DS6yo also. I do really like the Purple Cow Toy Store they are $$, but unique.. they had no monster trucks when I went in there last, so we didn't even go in.

We were super thirsty after that so drove threw Subway, the easiest drive thru on the south side, and got drinks.

After the required Birthday shopping, we went Gallery hopping, just on Commercial. There is one with a Bike on the outside on 11th I think that I do want to drop in on, as the owner was a professor of mine. My favorite Gallery by far is The River Sea Gallery. No I do not own it, and no my name was picked before I knew about it ;). In fact I picked it before I lived in Astoria. I found that my MIL do have very similar tastes in art. I do really love glasswork, but I can't do it, and don't want to learn to do it. My favorite piece there was a wooden clam shell about 2 ft in diameter, very beautiful. Of course there were pieces that were not our cup of tea either.

After the River Sea, we went into the Asian curio shop nearby. I know now why I don't see many people going in there, it is very $$, and the owner totaly ignored us, talking on the phone the whole time. When we went in The Heart of Glass, a ways down across the street, the lady was working on a piece, it was very neat to watch and talk with her, I wouldn't want to do it, afraid I would cut myself.

After Gallery Hopping, we headed to Safeway. Yes, since I am a local I have to shop too. I picked up some cheddar rolls, and misc necessities for the party, like FROSTING, I don't have time these days to make my own.

We drove to my home and gave the kiddos presents, and then MIL headed back to town. I was very tired, too tired to bake. I do NOT NOT NOT suggest doing this much in one day!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

Aug 1st and 2nd

We were all beat and tired, and just wanted to chat. So the IL's came over to our house, we uploaded music and pictures to the computer. Had some Clam Chowder and the rolls :). And talked about fishing gear and stuff.

They had gotten awoken at 2:30 am by their exploding refrigeration.. Or more precisely their canned pop had frozen and exploded. The workers at the Red Lion comforted them and said they would replace it, but the IL's were tired after that.

Aug 2nd they came refreshed ready to drive hom, but hung out for a few hours. They had gotten take out from Geno's SFIL is a pizza addict, and MIL said it was very very good. It is the one I recommend if you need a precooked pizza delivered.

All in all a fun trip, glad I got to go to galleries, as with two little boys it isn't very possible.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

I loved this !!

I am sitting here grinning and feel like I just got back from eating out with you and the kids lol.

Thank you Rivergallery for posting ... it is good to read about locals enjoying the area they live in ... especially for those of us who were there and not Aren't ! lol

ps- Please send a Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake to me in care of Mtngrl LOL

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

OMG it was so good, but with my med issues I only dared a couple bites, with all the sugar content of a Cosmo I didn't dare. My DS 06 was sitting right by me with it I instantly took off 1/2 and gave it to DH.

The kids were so wired at the end of the day, we asked a lot of them.. poor things, the did deserve the presents.. oh my older son wanted a Spiderman webshooter.. LOL so I told MIL and of course it was 40% off clearance so she got it for him LOL.

5. Re: Trip Report July 30- Aug 2nd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 06, 2009