We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Astoria

California
5 posts
Save Topic
First timer to Astoria

What is the best way for me to get from the Portland Airport to Astoria? I have never been to either place.

What is there to do while in Astoria? I love antigue store, beaches and good restaurants.

Darlene

Columbia River Maritime Museum
Specialty Museums, Bodies of Water
Astoria Column
Monuments & Statues, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Fort Clatsop National Memorial
Historic Sites, National Parks
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Astoria

Will you be renting a car, or are you asking about public transportation?

Also, judging by what you say you like, I'm not sure Astoria is the place for you. It's situated near the mouth of the Columbia River, about, 9 - 10 miles from the nearest decent beach. And, while it does have some decent dining and shopping options, I think you'd find more to your liking in a place like Cannon Beach, 20 miles south.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Astoria

Oh, by the way, love your username. I think my wife can relate! ;-)

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Astoria

Hi there! You may want to stroll up and down Commercial where there are several antique shops you may enjoy. Fort Stevens State Park in Warrenton is a nice beach, you can view the Wreck of the Peter Iredale there which is interesting and makes for a nice photo op. :)

The Silver Salmon Grille, the Ship Inn, Cannery Cafe, T. Paul's Urban Cafe and Fulio's are a few great places to eat in Astoria. There is also the Schooner's 12th Street Bistro across from the Hotel Elliott that has good food.

If you like to wine taste, Shallon Winery is fun and there is also the Cellar on 10th Street and the Vintner's Room at the Hotel Elliott for wine tasting.

A ride on the Riverfront Trolley is great fun, if you are in Astoria from May-October the Astoria Sunday Market is lots of fun where you can purchase local photography, art, etc. They have several good food booths set out. We like the grilled oysters and the clam linguine here.

A drive up to Coxcomb Hill is cool, we can see the tower from our doorstep in Astoria, it is lit up at night which is pretty. There is the Astor Column there that is fun to climb and you will have gorgeous views of the Columbia River and surrounding area from this viewpoint.

The Flavel House, the Maritime Museum and the Heritage Museum are also educaitonal and interesting. A drive over the Astor-Megler Bridge is also fun, you will be in Washington and could take the scenic drive to Seaview where there are more antique shops and some yummy places to eat. 42nd Street Cafe and Shoalwater are both good places to eat here.

Have fun and enjoy your travels! :)

California
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Astoria

Thanks you to everyone who replied to my post so quickly. Well, the deal is, that I have a friend I will be visiting that actually lives on the Columbia River somewhere in Evans, Washington. I am suppose fly into Spokane where he will pick me up and I will be spending some time in his neck of the woods (putting it mildly), and then since he has never been to Astoria either he is going to drive me there and I assume I will be flying out from Portland. My ideas are a bit different as I would just like to visit Astoria but really do not want to rent a car unless I absolutely have to. Therefore, If I fly into Portland is there transportation other than a car rental which will get me into Astoria?

Sadly, I am officially a TeeWidow since May of 2006.

Darlene

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Astoria

Amtrak offers a bus service from the Portand train station to Astoria; that might be your only option. You can get from PDX to the train station either via MAX - get off at the first stop after crossing the river and walk the 10 +/- blocks - or cab. But I can't imagine visiting Astoria without a car. You'd be limited mostly to the few attractions along the river front trolley. And forget the beach; it's miles away.

Sorry if I hit a nerve, but how do you "officially" become a TeeWidow? That you use it as a screen name made me think you had a sense of humor about it.

California
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Astoria

To Mistletoes question on my TeeWidow screen name.-----------

Well, my husband was a golfer so this screen name seemed appropriate. He passed away in May of 2006, so not the name does seem as appropriate as it used to be.

Darlene

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Astoria

You can get on the Sunset Empire Transit for bus service around Astoria and Clatsop county(one goes to Seaside and Cannon Beach)- if you really dont want to rent a car. I remember being at the Sunset Beach state park and seeing a bus there. So they have buses that go to the beach- but you probably would have to check schedules and such.

Rides are $1.25 or 0.65 if you are 65+--- what a deal!

Level Contributor
35,724 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer to Astoria

Hi, another great restaurant to add to your list for Astoria is the Rio Cafe. We had a very good dinner there last night. Great service, beautifully presented food and a nice selection of drinks. I had the strawberry margeurita which was perfectly blended, the Pina Colada Smoothie also sounded good.

We will look no further than the Rio Cafe for our Mexican food in Astoria! :)

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer to Astoria

I'm confused. If your friend is going to drive you all the way to Astoria, can he not take you back to Portland? Or are you needing transportation to tour around Astoria?

I checked MapQuest, I thought I knew the names of most of the towns in Washington, but Evans had me stumped. It is way up in the NE corner of the state. You will have a full days drive from there just to reach Astoria.

LA Calif
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer to Astoria

Wow,another big jump in time -you are answering a request you already answered from March and this is the end of June.You must be very bored at your cute beach cottage in seaside which you have had for years and also have one in Astoria Syrah