We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Which Astoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Will be on a cruise that docks at Astoria on May 7 from 9-6. Have thought about renting a car and driving down the coast and stopping at Cannon Beach to see haystack rock and coastal scenery. I have reservations with Hertz but reservations says only 100 miles included for free and then 25 cents for each mile thereafter. Have never seen that before with a car rental company.

Anyway, is this a good plan or should we stay in the city of Astoria and just browse around the town.

Any suggestions of how to spend our day would be appreciated. We do not like to do the ship's shore excursions.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Sounds like a good plan- Cannon Beach is pretty scenic.

It isn't that far from astoria and then you could visit some other places too, if you want to do the whirlwind tour. Fort Clatsop Ntl Park & Fort Stevens State Park are also good places to check out.

There is probably enough to do in Astoria for 9hrs, but you wouldn't be able to visit the beach if that is what you want to do.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Re: car rental, I'd check out others for better rates.

Keep in mind how long it will take to disembark and embark on your ship. That could limit actual time available.

I agree about Cannon Beach, very scenic. Also, suggest you pay a nominal fee and, at the north end of town, go to Ecola State Park for beautiful views from the beach and from the bluff.

You will enjoy the OR coast, even in this limited time.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

From the port of Astoria to Cannon Beach is about 20 miles +/-. You could easily kill 6-7 hrs and another 20 miles putzing around Cannon Beach/Ecola.

I might also suggest you head about 15 miles further south and check out Oswald West State Park.

~Den~

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Be sure to drive up to the Astor Column in Astoria. Great views of the Columbia River and the Pacific. If you are in good shape, climb the stairs to the top--the view is awesome. You might also want to check out the Maritime Museum in Astoria. It is excellent.

The drive to Cannon Beach is a good idea, especially if you have never seen the Pacific sea stacks. And Cannon Beach is such a fun little town.

Re: the car rental--I have never heard of the 100 mile limit--usually they offer unlimited mileage. Is this something arranged through the cruise company? Astoria is a pretty small town, not sure what they have in the way of car rental companies.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

There are many things in Astoria to keep you busy, it just depends on how much you want to do/see outside of Astoria. The Maritime Museum could easily take up a couple of hours if you leisurely browse through it and wach the movie in the River Theater, there is also a nice gift shop there that is fun to browse through. Our exhibit the Art of the Decoy will run through the end of this year, if you like Maritime History, this is an excellent attraction to spend time in. There is also a trolley that runs along the waterfront that is a fun way to see the town and it is narrated as well which is educational. The Flavel House is kind of cool to go through, Queen Anne Architecture and lots of history. I have some reviews with photos of the majority of the places I will be mentioning. The Astor Column is not to miss, you will need a car to go here, it is up on the top of Coxcomb Hill. Even if you don't climb the column the views are gorgeous from the top of the hill. If you like to wine taste, there is the Shallon Winery, the tasting is complimentary and you will taste some unusual wines. We like the Orange Chocolate wine and the Cran Du Lait. The Cellar on 10th also has wine tasting as does the Vintner's Room at the Hotel Elliott.

Some places we like for meals in Astoria are the Silver Salmon Grille, Cannery Cafe, Ship Inn, Schooner's 12 St. Bistro and Fulio's for Italian food. Around the corner from our home in Astoria is the Peter Pan Market where you can pick up some yummy deli supplies, they make really great housemade desserts here, also. It's fun to take a picnic up to the Astor Column, there are tables set up at the base of the column.

If you decide to venture out, Seaside is a nice place to spend time in. There is a prom there for walking with gorgeous views of Tillamook Head, some antique shops in the Gilbert District and the gorgeous Necanicum River. Ave U is fun to watch the surfers, we like Norma's for some really great clam chowder in Seaside.

In Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park is not to miss. You may also want to go to Indian Beach, we enjoyed this as a favorite surfing spot last summer, it's very scenic. A small trail will take you down to the beach there. Downtown Cannon Beach is a fun place to shop, eat, etc. We have enjoyed great meals at Bistro, Gower St. Bistro, Wayfarer and Mo's where you will have oceanviews in a casual setting. Hope this helps and have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

And as long as it's a rental....... ;-) The drive from Astoria to Cannon Beach on 101 isn't too scenic, so why not take the beach route. Turn off 101 towards the beach on the road at the south end of Astoria Country Club, then drive on the beach all the way to the north end of Gearhart.

Another thought would be to go the other direction to Long Beach peninsula and Cape Disappointment State Park just out of Ilwaco. Scenery around the north lighthouse there is spectacular, and there's an interesting interpretive center with a commanding view of the mouth of the Columbia River.

Whether you go north or south, you likely won't drive 100 miles, but there's probably less risk of that going north.

Oh, and if you've got a mini-fridge in your stateroom, stop at Josephson's in Astoria to pick up some of the best smoked seafood you'll taste anywhere.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

If you enjoy taking photographs do not miss the Astor colum, get a local map, the route to it is also marked, it is on top of of probably the highest hill in a very hilly town, Astoria. You will always remember the views. To the west the ocean, the jettys along the Columbia, all the ship traffic, to the east Saddle Mtn and the coast range, miles and miles of views. The colum commerates the Lewis and Clark expedition and is decorated fresco stryle.

For a sampler the trip to Canon Beach and haystack rock is a great idea. After you see Astor column go immediately to Cannon Beach to see haystack and walk a litle on the beach, then go to Ecola state park if you want to see that. These plus lunch will probably take all your available time.

Enjoy your cruise but come back and see us again when you have more time.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time and given such good advice.

Can't wait to see Cannon Beach, Haystack rock and Ecola State Park and maybe even further south. From the tide table for May 7 it look's like low tide at Cannon Beach will be at 10:35 AM so that should be exciting, too.

There appears to be only two car rental agencies in Astoria: Hertz and Enterprise. I called Astoria's Enterprise this afternoon and the woman I spoke with was more than delightful. We will be renting our car from them. They will pick us up at the pier and drop us off after returning the car. And no limit on miles. I've never seen mileage limits before especially with a big company like Hertz. Needless to say, we will be cancelling our reservations with them.

We do have a mini fridge in our cabin on the ship but they are not normally cold enough to keep something like fish fresh.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

I hope you have a great trip, sounds like plans are coming along nicely. If you decide to go to Fort Stevens State Park, check out Kim's Kitchen in Warrenton for a nice meal, she makes some really great spare ribs and such a nice person! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Astoria on Cruise Ship - Cannon Beach ?

I will be in Astoria just a few days before U TPT. I was hopin the weather would be good and we could rent a bike....Any suggestions out there. I will definatley be taking in the column. Cheers