We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Riverwalk all about?

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What is Riverwalk all about?

I am flying out to Jacksonville in August to visit my father and I booked a room at the Wyndham. When I mentioned it to a family member, he said that Riverwalk was in a "bad" part of town? Is that true? If it's bad, how bad is it?

What is Riverwalk all about? Should my son and I even venture out of the Wyndham?

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Riverwalk all about?

The Riverwalk, is a pedestrian boardwalk right next to the river. On the Wyndam Hotel side of the river this walkway stretches for about 1 ¼ miles. There is a walkway on the other side of the river that is several miles longer. It’s a scenic area. The Landing which has restaurants and shops is on the opposite bank of the river from the Wyndam. The walkways are popular with sightseers, walkers, runners., and people who work downtown.

It is not a bad area but I would not walk around in dark deserted places at night. I’m sure it’s as safe as San Diego at night. The world isn’t what it used to be. Use common sense.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Riverwalk all about?

Hi Locallani,

The Riverwalk is not in a 'bad' part of town, although as Spirit has suggested, you don't want to be walking out there late at night with no one around.

It's actually very picturesque and I think you'll enjoy it. Definitely venture out and explore a little. It's beautiful at sunset, and sometimes you can actually see dolphins playing in the river.

I hope you have a great visit. It will be very hot and humid in August, so plan accordingly.

Feel free to email me if you have additional questions, or post them here. My email address is vickisfloyd@hotmail.com.

Welcome to the forum!

Vicki