We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Jacksonville

Cape Coral, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Relocating to Jacksonville

Hi there, my family and I will be relocating to Jacksonville within the next three months and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to the best neighborhoods and elementary schools.

I know nothing about the area and know nobody personally to give us some pointers. I have a few ideas in mind, but I'm still unsure.

My husband is starting a job in downtown Jacksonville, but the daily commute doesn't matter.

Any help would be great... :)

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

Hi,

Just wanted to answer your post. First we need to know what price range you are looking at. I can recommend some great neighborhoods, but not sure if they'll be what you're looking for.

Are you going to be working with a realtor and do you already have one? I have a good friend who is one of our top realtors in the area. The great thing is that he's not pushy or overly aggressive (that is incredibly annoying).

As far as your husband's commute, keep in mind that Jacksonville is the largest city in the USA as far as land mass. The traffic during rush hour can be quite tangled. Downtown is only 15 minutes away from some areas, and an hour away from others.

If you'll give those of us on the forum an idea of the price range you're looking for, we can steer you in the right direction. Homes here go anywhere from 150k or so up to several million, so we need to narrow it down some.

As far as schools, are your children interested in something specifically? We have a magnet school program that's very good and it doesn't matter what area the student is in to take advantage of it. Go to Google and do a search on 'Jacksonville Florida Magnet Schools' and you can go directly to the magnet school website and see everything available. Feel free to email me if you like. My email address is vickisfloyd@hotmail.com.

Welcome to the forum!

Vicki

Tampa, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

My family relocated to Jacksonville a little over a year ago. We have two small children (6 and 3 1/2). After a LOT of driving around with a realtor we decided to live in St. Johns County. You cannot beat the school system...it's one of the best in Florida. There is a large, master planned community (Julington Creek Plantation) as well as many small nice neighborhoods in the northwest part of the county. Be prepared to spend at least $275+ for a home - I'm not sure where you are relocating from but the home prices have been escalating quite briskly in the short time I have lived here.

Good luck with your relocation.

Cape Coral, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

We are relocating from Cape Coral so escalating home prices are not big news to us. Since we would be first home buyers, we'd like to keep the home under $250k.

Southside is looking a little interesting to us, and we're looking into the magnet schools in that area as well. Also, what are the best daycares in the area?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

To check out daycares, one of our news stations does a daycare report every week with information and grades. Here is the link:

http://www.wtlv.com/news/childcare/

Unfortunately, they're not listed alphabetically but rather by the newscast that they were in.

I think you might be able to get a fairly decent home in Kensington or off of Kernan Boulevard for you price range. The realtor will find what you're looking for. If you don't yet have a realtor, we have a good friend who is great! He's not pushy or agressive, and really knows what's out there. I'll be glad to pass along his contact info if you like. There's nothing worse than an obnoxious realtor, and this one is very laid back; only going so far as you want him too. Just let me know. Feel free to email me if you have further questions. My email address is vickisfloyd@hotmail.com.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

Please excuse the typos and misspellings above! I'm a choral director at a church and putting on a big Easter musical drama this weekend and my brain is on overdrive. I really can spell...honest!

Jacksonville
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

Hi there! I relocated to Jax from Long Island (NY) last year, so the escalating home prices here don't make me blink. We're pretty happy about the move overall, and continue to enjoy discovering new things to do all the time.

I live in an apartment on the Southside right now, and love the area. We're close to everything. My older children are in Twin Lakes Academy (the elementary school is an "A" school and the middle school is a "B"). They are doing very well, and I like both schools overall. I also have 3 year old twins, who go to daycare at Chappell at Deerwood. They (the daycare) are WONDERFUL, and I would strongly recommend them. There is a website for licensed Florida daycare providers: http://199.250.30.131/childcare/provider/providersearch.aspx; I used this to help me in my search. Good luck, and I hope your move is as painless as possible!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

I second that motion! As having a Master's Degree in education, we 'hear' things, and Twin Lakes Academy is definitely one of the best public schools we offer. The offer is still open if you'd like to email me with additional questions.

Vicki

Jacksonville...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

I am sorry that you are relocating to Jacksonville, Florida. This city is evergrowing, crowded, traffic congestion and never ending construction. I have been here for over 14 years and I cannot wait to leave. But, my family comes first and they have been here for over 74 years and I will be here for them.

So, the Westside, this is the section of town where the average family lives. But of course is growing bigger and bigger with homes now starting to around 250,000 and above. But then you could go around the corner and find a home at 80,000.. The best elem.school on this side of town is Crystal Springs Elem. it is one of the best schools around. There are homes and new subdivisions near this school as well. This is located on Hammond Blvd. There is another road that links called Crystal Springs Rd. That is the road that has been built up over the years, nice of new homes. Different price ranges for any life style.

Northside, it is gradually growing there as well. Kind of rough in certain neighborhoods. Along with the Eastside.

Southside, very busy neighborhoods. Like I said, Jacksonville is growing and growing. A McDonalds, Walmart and Jiffy store on every corner. This side of town is average to above average living. Many restaurants, malls, auto sales etc...

Beaches, high class area. Must have lots of money to live here. This would be Ponte Vedra Area, Basically anything over the intercoastal bridges. Very nice neighborhoods though. I am sure that the schools in that area are nice, I have not been fortunate enough to make it over that bridge. :-)

Here is the link to the Duval County School Board. http://www.educationcentral.org/

Hope that helps.

There are other areas outside of Jacksonville if you do not want to be in the city. It would also depend on your type of life style. Orange Park, is located west of the city. It is a very very busy place though. That is where the nearest Mall is located for the westside of Jax. Green Cove Springs is further west but is a nice little town. Would be quite a drive to downtown. If you like the country life, there is Callahan (Nassau County), then there is Maxville, Middleburg as well.

Just an FYI, the downtown traffic is slammed. I hope your husband has good hours to avoid alot of it. Make sure you do a test run of the streets. The streets are mostly one ways, so be careful.

Welcome to the Jungle as we call it here in Jville. :-)

Jacksonville...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

Hi Answin!

There are some great areas in Jacksonville, but they all have their pro's and con's just like any other city. I would recommend several visits to look around before you settle on one area. Jacksonville is very big and spread out. I've lived here most of my life minus 8 years in Atlanta and couple of years in Austin, Texas and Columbia, South Carolina. And, I'm proud to say that I chose to move back here. I think this is a great city. I'll admit, I thought the traffic here was bad, until I lived in Atlanta and Austin.. now I don't mind it at all. Area's you might want to look at are Mandarin, East Arlington, Southside, Northside (TONS of new growth), Orange Park and westside.

Good luck on your move and Congrats on your husband's new job! = )

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocating to Jacksonville

Well, there's a reason for the super-sized growth here in Jacksonville. If it was such a horrible place, why in the world would it be growing so quickly. That makes absolutely no sense. Take your advice about the real Jacksonville from those of us who have lived here most of our lives. We'll tell you the ups, the downs, and the things you really need to know. Florida is the 4th largest state in the Nation, and with Jacksonville being the biggest city land-wise, with everything it has to offer, of course it's growing. Who would want to live somewhere stagnant, which is, of course, the opposite of vital growth. Not me! I love seeing my city making improvements that while inconvenient for a time, will make my life easier in the long run. You can't be short-sighted and live in a growing city. You'll make yourself miserable, as we can see.