We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

Hi all, my wife and I will be at the Riverwalk Hotel in Febuary. I have seen the "all over the charts" reviews on the hotel, lol. We are not really concerned with it as we can live in a shack if needed, lol. We really would like to know what is in the area to see or go to ? Any good places to eat? Anything interesting to see? Any information would be great. And as always I will give this hotel a review upon my return... Thanks

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

Will you have a car? If not, your options are fairly limited. There is a Chart House Restaurant right there, which is very good. They have fantastic happy hour food from 4 to 7. The prime rib sliders are top knotch! Dinner is a bit on the pricier side. Another restaurant, BBs, is in walking distance, I believe. You can Google it to see if it's something you would enjoy. The food is good, the atmosphere is lively and the prices are moderate. Let us know if you'll have a vehicle, and we can offer some additional options.

Vicki

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

We will not have a car. We are only there for 2 days or so. Is there any form of transit? I know we could get a cab I suppose if we wanted to venture out. More than likely stay in the area and walk though. I do appreciate the help.... Thanks.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

I recently returned from a stay at the Omni, which is across the river from the Wyndham. I had a car to get around. A couple of the guys I was with walked across the bridge from the Omni to Riverwalk to go to a brew pub.

I also noticed there is a monorail that crosses the river and makes stops on both sides. You could use that to get across the river to the Landing, which is an entertainment center with several bars and restaurants.

There are also water taxis that cross the river, but it appeared the charge was $5.00 per ride. Unless they have a reasonably priced day pass, taxis would probably be cheaper.

The Museum of Contemporary Art is downtown, across the river from the Wyndham. I also saw trolleys that went from the Omni to the Riverside area. There are restaurants and unique shops in Riverside as well as the Cummer Museum of Art.

If you use the Trip Advisor search option at the top of the page and type in Wyndham you can not only see reviews of the Wyndham, but there is a map that will show nearby restaurants. I think there was about 6 within a few blocks of the Wyndham.

I also used urbanspoon.com to find Jacksonville restaurants.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

Thank you very much! We will take your advice and check it out. Looking forward to it.....

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

HI Mort,

Suggest you take the walk over the bue Main Street Bridge to The Landing (which has the big orange roof). It's a great walk! Very scenic. There are a few restaurants there. There is also a food court upstairs in the building with indoor and scenic outdoor seating that is particularly nice at lunch time. The food court food is about as good as the restaurant food at The Landing.

Immediately adjacent to The Landing is the Times Union Performance Center. You might be able to catch a concert by the Jacksonville Symphony or a traveling Broadway play.

There are nice pedestrian walks on both sides of the river. The one across the river from your hotel is the longest.

The Cummer Museum (art and garden) is very nice. It's on the river not far from the far end of the pedestrian walk across the river from your hotel.

Jacksonville is a very big city in the sense that it is very spread out. Things are here and there and the city transit system is pretty sketchy. You are very limited without a car.

Your hotel could probably help you find a bus that would take you to the beach at the end of Atlantic Blvd. That's the nicest part of Jacksonville's beaches. There are some good restaurants in that immediate area: Ragtime and Meza Luna are two of them. Lillie's is a popular coffee shop with a patio/garden area and they have breakfast items and salads and sandwiches and are open into the evening hours, and they have music outside on Friday and Saturday nights..

How is it that you are ending up in Jacksonville? We're not a tourist town!

Spirit

Edited: 11:31 pm, February 12, 2012
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

A very short taxi ride from the Wyndam is the San Marco area, it has quite a few reataurants and shops. A short walk from the hotel along the Riveralk is the Museum of Science and History which has a large section devoted to the history of the North Florida area. There is a Skyway station next to the hotel that you can ride to Hemming Plaza to check out the Museum of Contemporary Art, and then walk back to the Landing and catch a water taxi back to your hotel. Have fun.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

This map may help. Not a bad site to at least get your bearings. There are also other tabs on the page for searching for specifics.

downtownjacksonville.org/locations/lc-30-dow…

8. Re: The Wyndham Jacksonville Riverwalk Hotel & Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:45 am, June 11, 2013