We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JAX Port and hotels

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
JAX Port and hotels

Hi all,

Will be flying in night prior to cruise, mid week.

Would love to know a recommended hotel for solo female traveler.

Safe, good food, good wine and not too far to port next am to catch cruise.

Do you recommend airport area or downtown or is there somewhere else closer and nicer. I usually stay in mid range hotels, Hyatt, Marriot etc when traveling alone, prefer to have business class level or above as it seems to be safer for solo travelor. What is opinion out there for Jacksonville. Avoid any areas?

Recommendations

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JAX Port and hotels

Hi Wheelchef,

Downtown has nicer hotels (Hyatt, Omni) but the Airport is closer to the cruise ships. Expect to drive about 30 minutes from downtown and about 15 minutes from the airport. Will you have a car? That will be one factor. There's also a Sheraton in the downtown area with a Ruth's Chris Steak House if you want really good food/wine. The Hampton Inn on Prudential Drive is in close proximity to some excellent restaurants. It's more in the Dowtown/Southbank area. It is literally across the street from what many consider to be Jacksonville's absolute best restaurant, The Wine Cellar. This establishment has been here for quite some time, has an extensive wine list, food for any gourmet appetite and prices that will hurt your wallet a little bit! (Worth it!) This area is also close to the Sheraton Ruth's Chris, Morton's Steak House and the Chart House on the River. Another restaurant that's about 5 minutes away is The River City Brewing Company, also on the River. Mid-priced - good food. The Southbank area also has our Riverwalk, which you may enjoy, and if you aren't out extremely late, you should be fine solo. I personally wouldn't go too far when it gets really late and people aren't milling about any longer. You just can't be too safe.

Check back on the forum if you see a hotel that interests you and let us give you a 'go' on the location. Or you can feel free to email me personally at vickisfloyd@hotmail.com.

Thanks for visiting the Jax forum!

Vicki Floyd

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JAX Port and hotels

Thanks for the great information. THis is a great site.

Kelly

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JAX Port and hotels

You're welcome, Kelly. We're all addicted to it. Anytime we plan a trip, this is the first place we come!

Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: JAX Port and hotels

Hi, there is a nice new hotel next to the port. i think it might be a holiday inn express. it is on Hecksher Drive and 9A. Also, there are nice hotels by the airport. If you want to go a little upscale I would suggest the Omni Downtown. For dining, the greatest restaurant in the area is Joseph's Pizza. It is family owned and everything is homemade. The location nearest to the port is only 10 minutes away on North Main Street. You can contact Joseph's at

(904) 765-0335. The address is

7316 N. Main St.

Jacksonville, FL 32208