We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

Shawnee, KS
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

Help me out here people. My fiance and I are in Kansas City at the moment but looking to relocate to a warmer area once we sell his house. He is thinking Florida...possibly Jacksonville. We get one week's vacation in March and I would really love to check out Austin, and he wants to check out Jacksonville. Can anyone who has been to or lived in both give me any sort of comparison of the two cities? We are both in our mid to upper thirties, no kids and no plans for them, love to wine and dine and especially good sushi and seafood. The ocean nearby is a bonus, of course, except for when its NOT...we like to do things outdoors and would love to build our own house, which is another reason I'm thinking Austin or the surrounding area- better housing costs and more land available. Sounds like traffic in either city is a possible nightmare...I work as a Medical Technologist (hospital lab, Children's Hospital) and he is a sales rep, I'm thinking either one of us could most likely get a job either place, although I would have to get certified in Florida. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

Hi Andrea,

You did the really smart thing to actually check out the cities that you're thinking about. Sorry your visits to both Austin and Jax didn't see you falling in love with either. I think that there's a lot more to both cities probably. Can't speak much for Austin, but were you on AM on the radio? We have one Christian rock station, one sort of old-timer's Christian station and one that plays 'positive' music; some Christian and some not. That's about it. And we have about 25 different station mixes here.

Mandarin is a really nice area, and so is the area between 95 and the beaches. They are also some of the most expensive areas around. You may not have gotten a good idea of what's really out there, real-estate wise. However, you aren't going to find a 4 bedroom home (in a really nice area) for 130k. It just won't happen, here. (Too bad for us!) Were you looking with an agent? Or just on your own? A more realistic price for a city of 1 million plus is around 200k.

The golf crowd? Keep in mind that with a national PGA Championship going on, they may not have been Jax residents, but possibly other guests. The TPC brings in hundreds of visitors...don't hold them against us!

I guess sometimes we have to actually leave home and see other places with through the eyes of 'living there' before we see that we actually have it pretty good! If you ever think about looking again, make sure a Jax resident takes you around and shows you the real city...warts and all! Good luck to you!

Long Island
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

I'm going to come out of my self-imposed exile for a moment and defend Jax here (shocking, I know). I was in KC for business once and all I'll say is that Jax is paradise found compared to KC. RE is all about supply and demand and there's a reason your house is so cheap--no one wants to live there and IMHO, for good reason.

Long Island
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

although I will say satellite radio is a must.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

Lidevsfan1 - Thank you! I am shocked...but pleased that you came out of your self-imposed exile! What are you doing on the Jax forum anyway? I don't haunt the Long Island one! (Just giving you a bit of grief...you expect it don't you?) And I just have to say today, Go Gators. I have to give a little credence to your claim that we're all college sports fans. In this case, I'd have to agree! Have a good week ;)

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

I have been to both Austin and Jacksonville as my best friend just graduated from UT.

I must say that each has its perks.

As a sports fan - Jacksonville is great with NFL Jaguars, Minor League Hockey, AA Affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers - not to mention NCAA Basketball Tournament 1st round, ACC Baseball Championship, ACC Football Championship, FLorida-Georgia Football game, Gator Bowl, a Super Bowl in the past, The Players Championship golf, Bausch and Lomb tennis - PLUS - baseball Spring Training is a short drive away!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

Does anyone have feedback regarding purchasing a home or renting a place not too far from the Wolfson Children's Hospital area (near where I'd work)? I'd appreciate any feedback. I've posted my question here as well:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60805-i377-k55485…

Shawnee, KS
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

lidevsfan1-

"RE is all about supply and demand and there's a reason your house is so cheap--no one wants to live there and IMHO, for good reason. "

Thank you for coming out of your self imposed exile. I'm sure you saw very little of KC just as I saw very little of Jax. No, it is far from perfect here...can I ask, were you in Missouri or Kansas? There is a HUGE difference. The county I live in (Johnson, in Kansas) is annually in the top five income per capita in the nation. My school district is also one of the very best. We have like one murder a year, if that. KCMO had well over 100 last year. Sure, we get some ice storms and don't have palm trees. But the quality of life I have here is something that I can not give up to live in a shack for four times more than what is costs me to live here, all the while getting paid about 60% of what I get paid to work in the black hole you know as KC. I can commute quickly and easily to work, I can hop on a plane and be anywhere in the country in three hours, I can see the starry sky at night (beautiful, BTW) or shop at the same stores you shop at, with money that I haven't spent on housing, taxis, security systems, HOAs, etc. We have a professional football team and MY college team is just a couple quick and easy hours away.

As far as I can tell, proximity to the ocean and getting good seafood is the only reason to move to "paradise". And, in my estimation, it is not worth the cost, TO ME.

And, BTW...I fully understand supply and demand. But thanks for explaining it to me in such a manner that I can get a better grasp on what it really means.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

andreadaile,

I'll put in my two cents. I haven't lived in Jacksonville (but I might), but I have lived in Kansas City and Austin. First, I really enjoyed my brief stay in the KC area. I lived in Overland Park right near that nice mall and enjoyed a wealth of shopping and dining options (and I shopped way too much). KC was a little too slow for me, but I wouldn't be opposed to living there again. There was lot to do (I recall going to a nice jazz festival and some very good theatre), good barbeque and many young families. I think it would be a great place to raise a family and I know the schools are great - I have a couple of friends who (in my mind) are brilliant (graduated from ivies, etc.) and they grew up in KC.

Austin is not a place I'd really want to live again. It's okay but not for me. I lived there three years and when the technology industry took a downturn, Austin was hit hard - there was an area near Dell that was referred to as a graveyard (or something like that), because so many Dell and tech employees lost their homes and left them empty. What adds flavor to Austin is UT. Traffic is pretty bad and I don't know if they have plans to make some changes to I35 but they definitely should. I like diversity and in my opinion, Austin doesn't really offer a lot outside of UT. And if you are a working adult, then what goes on near UT will have no effect on you. Compared to other mid-size metros, I don't think Austin has great dining options at all. It's one of those places where you'll eat at the best places in the first few months of being there, but there won't be any new places that come up frequently enough for those who like a diversity of fine dining options. Austin does not have good seafood. They do have good Tex Mex and BBQ though - and I put on the pounds when I was there to prove that. Also, as I think you've seen already, I just don't think there are a lot of areas in Austin with "character." It's hard to put my finger on it, but after living there three years, I can say that I have no plans to initiate a move back to Austin.

One of the things my friends and I used to say was that the best thing about Austin was its Central Texas location. We had very easy access to San Antonio, Dallas, Mexico, Houston, etc. - and I made frequent rode trips to those places!

Malie

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Austin, TX VS Jacksonville

Andrea, with salaries so high and cost of living so low, why in the world would you want to leave KC for palm trees? I sure don't live here for the palm trees! But I do like the fact that we have water sports all over with the beautiful St. John's River and the Beaches. I think you've made your decision with your heart. Stay in KC in your nice big home. After all, it IS home. I know that it would be hard for me to leave mine! And you certainly can't get any property here in Jax for the price you would pay in KC. Like I said before, sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone. We would love to have you anytime, but it sounds like your heart is still in KCMO. Nothing wrong with that!