We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner before a concert

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
62 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner before a concert

I am going to see a concert at the Veterans Memorial Arena next Wednesday the 24th. Any suggestions for a good place for dinner before the show? Casual and low key would be best-and of course a nice view wouldn't hurt.

And while we are at it what about a nice and (again) low key place for drinks afterward. I'm staying in Neptune beach so anyplace between the arena and the beach will work.

Thanks for any info-

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner before a concert

Hi Jen,

There are no restaurants in the immediate area of the Arena. The Landing is on the River on the same side of the river as the Arena and not more than a mile or so away from the Arena. The Landing has great views of the river and the bridges (which are lighted at night) and the other side of the river. There are a couple restaurants there and a food court. The food at The Landing is adequate but not wonderful. The Landing is a good place for drinks with a view! Everything at The Landing is very casual.

Neptune Beach offers some great restaurant choices. They are all real close to the corner of Atlantic Blvd and 1st Street: Ragtime, Sliders, Al's Pizza, Sticky Fingers, Mezza Luna, Tara's Japanese Restauran, The Loup, and there are others. All are casual with good food!

I'm getting hungry thinking about these places!

Spirit

Edited: 11:24 pm, February 17, 2010
Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner before a concert

Jen, you could also consider running on the pedestrian walk along the river. It goes both up and down the river from The Landing. Another run would be from The Landing, over the river on the blue Main Street Bridge and back across the river on the Acosta Bridge and back to The Landing.

There is a public parking lot almost under the blue Main Street Bridge, adjacent to The Landing.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner before a concert

Hi Jen,

Spirit has given you some great advice. I would also consider the River City Brewing Company. It's only minutes away from the Arena and it's right on the river with some beautiful views. It's not casual like shorts and flip flops, but you definitely don't have to dress up. Here's a link:

www.rivercitybrew.com

Enjoy your stay!

Vicki

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
62 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner before a concert

Thanks for the tips-

I think I will try both a beach run and a city run-not on the same day of course!

Is parking near the arena decent?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner before a concert

It's not bad. You likely won't be able to park right at the entrance, but it's easy to find parking within a block or so. You'll see a lot of people allowing concert-goers to park on their property for $5 or $10 bucks. I'd stay away from that and park in the lots that have attendents. Have a great time!!! Let us know if we can help further.

Vicki

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner before a concert

I agree that River City Brewing Company is a good choice for pre concert dinner. For casual dining, you can sit in the bar area with a beautiful view of the marina and St Johns River. If the weather is warm enough (probably not) you can eat on the outside deck.

.A couple of blocks east, also on the river, is Chart House. You can get away with jeans in there and the bar has a great happy hour menu with $5.00 appetizers if you don't need a full dinner. Between the two on the river l is Ruth's Chris, which is nice, but a little pricey.

Though there are some nice downtown bars for after concert drinks, I would really recommend heading back to the beach for cocktails since you have about a 30 - 40 minute drive.

Have fun!

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner before a concert

One more suggestion - City Hall Pub is a sports bar within walking distance of the arena, but no view of the river. Haven't been there but heard the food is not bad.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner before a concert

There's a real big parking lot next to the arena, and I've forgotten what other parking there may be. Not sure what the charge is for parking either. I've gotten the impression that the charge varies depending on what the event is in the Arena.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
335 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner before a concert

You got great recommendations. :) River City Brewery (bar side) or any restaurants at The Landing.

10. Re: Dinner before a concert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 23, 2010