We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

Dallas TX
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

Hello Everyone,

I need help finding a hotel to stay in with my mother and 3 children while in Jacksonville. I plan to arrive 2 days prior to my cruise to visit Jacksonville and see any attractions that my children might be interested in.

I really love a nice property. I don't mind paying for a beautiful,clean space to lay our heads while in town. It's a vacation after all. I have found a Courtyard Marriott in Jacksonville beach but i'm not sure if Jacksonville Beach is close to Jaxport for cruises. I know Courtyard Marriotts aren't fancy but it seems pretty and clean.

Any advice you could provide would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

Jacksonville Beach is a half hour drive to the port. You've found a hotel that you think you will like. Go for it.

Dallas TX
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

Thanks Spirit. I've just started reading this forum and you and Vicky give lots of great information. Such a big help.

I think I do like the hotel but I'm not sure what is near it attraction wise....gonna do some more research. Can you recommend a property where you would stay if you were an out of towner?

Thanks girl

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

Hi - If I was visiting with small children, I would probably stay at the beach even though it's a 30 - 40 minute drive to the port. Courtyard Marriott receives good reviews so you probably can't go wrong. You may also want to check out Ocean One (www.oceanoneresort.com) which IMHO is in a better location, at the end of Atlantic Blvd with quite a few good restaurants within walking distance. Ocean One is the old Sea Turtle Hotel that has been completely refurbished and is also getting good reviews. If you decide to stay downtown, I recommend the Hyatt, overlooking the St. Johns River, Make sure to reserve a riverfront room. You will be a short water taxi ride away from the Museum of Science and History which is fun for young and old. And if you have time, check out the Jacksonville Zoo.

Have fun.

www.oneoceanresort.com

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

You have gotten great suggestions so far. I always recommend the Zoo and the Museum of Science and History for kids as well. If you stay at the beach, which I would do, you will have a 30 to 40 minute drive to visit those attractions. Also, if you have the time, I'd suggest taking them down to St. Augustine. It's a great history lesson and the kids will have fun!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

I'll say ditto on the beach with kids. Not too far away is Adventure Landing, a water park with go-karts, video games, lots of fun things to do. The water park is not as big as some, but it's definitely something the kids would enjoy.

Our zoo is great. It has won some national awards. No matter where you stay, you're going to have a 30 to 40 minute drive to the cruise port, unless you stay right there, and there is absolutely nothing to do in that area.

Go for the beach...the kids will have tons of fun.

Vicki

Dallas TX
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

All of you are so wonderful!! Thank you for so much for all the information. I love getting suggestions from actual people. I think I will look at the Ocean 1 resort site.

I did read on this forum somewhere (maybe on one of the hotel reviews) that there were problems with homeless people stealing on the beach and that it's not a safe area. Is this true? Do any of you know about this?

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

I haven't heard of homeless people stealing on the beach.

Don't go out onto the beach in the darkness of night.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

I haven't heard anything about crime on the beach by homeless people at night, either. As Spirit says, don't go out on the beach at night unless you're with a crowd of people. Sometimes you'll see people on the beach at night right in front of some of the beachside restaurants and hotels, but it's typically deserted, and it's just wiser not to venture out there after dark. I don't want to give you the impression that criminal activity occurs frequently...it doesn't. It just pays to be aware and careful.

I think one day visiting Jacksonville (pick MOSH - the Museum of Science and History) or the zoo, and then spend one day in St. Augustine. Since you'll be so close, it would be a shame to miss it. It's the nation's oldest city and there's a ton of stuff to do there.

Staying at the beach will give you the option of spending some time there in the morning, then visiting MOSH or the Zoo or Adventure Landing around lunchtime. You'll get plenty of beach time on your cruise, I would imagine, so do consider St. Augustine. There is a St. Augustine forum with a lot of info. It's about a 50 minute drive from Jacksonville.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Vicki

Dallas TX
Level Contributor
247 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

Thanks ya'll. I was worried about the stealing business I read. I definitely wouldn't take my kids out during the evening on the beach. The person that mentioned their property being stolen was actually out there during the day. Even their childrens beach toys were stolen. Maybe it was just a fluke. Either way, I appreciate all of the great advice ladies.

I'm also going to look into St Augustine.

10. Re: Cruising out of Jacksonville..where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, November 10, 2009