We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterey Park...
2 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

I'm flying into Jacksonville 5/23 morn and out on 5/26 noon (so 3 full days) and need some ideas on what to do. I'll have a car and no hotels booked so I don't mind driving a few hours out of the city to get to another city and sleeping there but I have no clue what's around.

Can anyone recommend a rough itinerary? I'm thinking maybe visit the Kingsley Plantation and the state park in that area (do the EcoMotion tour maybe?). Or go down to Saint Augustine but don't know what's out there. I'm more about seeing the sights so not too into museums and hiking since I can do that here... unless it's something absolutely must-see.

I really appreciate the help!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

Jacksonville Zoo, Anheuser Busch Brewery tour, Hugenot Memorial Park Beach, Fort Caroline, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Lighthouse, Fort Matanzas, Lightner Museum, Fort Clinch, St. Mary's Submarine Museum, Castillo De San Marcos. Etc. There are lots of neat things to see in the Northeast Florida area. What kind of things do you like?

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

You really should go into St. Augustine, at least for the day - lots of sights to see and it is our nation's oldest city after all =). And, since you have a car, I'd also recommend going further on Heckscher Drive through Amelia Island and on to Fernandina. That's the same road that Kingsley Plantation is on. It's a very scenic and beautiful drive up. Fernandina is a cute little Victorian fishing village and there is also Fort Clinch State Park there. One thing you can get your fill of in this area is forts! http://www.floridastateparks.org/fortclinch/

I'd suggest getting a hotel at the beach. It is an easy, scenic drive to go to both St. Augustine and Fernandina from there. To get to Fernandina from the beach, you also get to take the ferry from Mayport, and that's always fun.

Monterey Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

I like the idea of going out to visit some forts. These are wonderful suggestions, thank you!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

The Kingsley Plantation is an important National Park Service historic site because it has intact slave dwellings and because Mr Kingsley was an active participant in the slave trade. Surrounding Fort George Island, Little Talbot Island, etc. are attractive.

The brick fort at Fernandina Beach is interesting--quite a contrast to the Castillo in St. Augustine. St. Augie's historic resort buildings from the late 1800s (Flagler College, especially) are worth a look. The city was burned by British invaders somewhere around 1703, so it lacks buildings older than that.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,470 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

Welcome to the forum! You're in the right place!

I would definitely suggest St. Augustine (go on the St. Augustine forum for more specific info) but it's so close to Jacksonville (less than one hour) so it's definitely worth it. There's the fort, and the main street, St. George Street has delightful shops and restaurants.

Fernandina is also close to Jacksonville. Their main street is Center Street. Fort Clinch is nearby.

Our Zoo is one of the best in the Nation, so you may enjoy that.

Let us know if we can help you further with accommodations and restaurant recommendations.

Have a great trip. I should be fairly hot, so be prepared for that.

Enjoy!

Vicki

6. Re: Suggestions in and around Jacksonville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 16, 2009