We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

Portland, Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

Hello Everyone,

I am coming to see the Jags Play the Colts on Dec. 11. The bad news....I am from Indiana, the good news, I am a HUGE Jaguars fan. So I am forcing my Girlfriend go come with me, we have great seats to the game. We are coming on Friday the 9th and staying until the 12th. What are some great places to eat, and places to go, that I can repay her for being forced to watch a football game. She likes to get dressed up nice to go out to dinner, so what would be a good resturant to do that, I have heard Matthew's is a good place to go??? I have never been to Jacksonville, but have heard good things. Please help me make it a trip that my Girlfriend will enjoy. I know I will love it, because hopefully I will see the Jags kill the Colts.

Any Info Would Be Great,

Thanks,

Dan

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

Come stay at the Beach. Suggest the Sea Horse Oceanfront Inn, on the beach at the foot of Atlantic Blvd in Neptune Beach (904) 246-2175. Every room has an ocean view. Across the street is Ragtime Restaurant which has been a favorite of people for years.

Check out The Jacksonville Landing on the river in the middle of town. Have a drink and enjoy the view. Go somewhere else for dinner.

Visit St Augustine while you're here. It's about 25 miles south.

Take the Trolley Tour. Stop by the Alligator Farm! A couple good restaurants are Columbia Restaurant in the heart of the old city and Cortese's Bistro a mile or so north of the city center on A!A. There others too.

Jacksonville is pretty casual, but you can dress up is you want to.

Can't predict what the weather will be, but it will be 30 degrees warmer than Indiana!

Hope the Jags will win!!

Jax
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

The Chrsitmas light display in St. Augustine will be really nice that time of year. And there are the standard upscale riverfront restaurants....Ruth's Chris....The Chart House. There are other, local restaurants that are pretty good too. I think you might get better reponses if you narrow down your defintion......depending on your tastes a great meal might be a killer buger & fries at a friendly local pub OR it might be Filet at a AAA 5-diamond restaurant (of which there are only 6 in the state of Florida, 43 nationally...and one happens to be at the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island, just North of Jax).

As a prissy, demanding girlfriend myself [tongue in cheek ;) ] I am sure we can come up with something fabulous, but you need to be more specific. Good luck!

Jacksonville, FL
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

You have definitely received some sound advice thus far. In addition, I recommend that, if you decide to go to St. Augustine, which I think is a must, then you should consider eating at 95 Cordova. 95 Cordova is a restaurant in the Casa Monica hotel in St. Augustine, which is a very elegant, ornate hotel located in the center of St. Augustine's historic district. The restaurant is arguably the best restaurant in Northeast Florida, and you will pay for it. However, you'll know where your money went when you dine here. My wife and I recently at there for our anniversary, and we shared a wonderful seven course meal that was pre-selected with paired wines. The total came to about $80 per person. I know that it's pricey, but well worth every penny. If you want something that is closer to Jacksonville and a little less pricey, then consider BB's or Bistro AIX. You can't go wrong either one, and you your wife will still be able to dress up. I hope this advice serves you well.

Jacksonville, FL
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

One last thing, I think Spirit meant the Sea Turtle Inn. The Sea Horse Inn, if I am not mistaken, is a motel-like place that is somewhat run down. The Sea Turtle Inn is in the same area, on the beach, and much nicer. If you do stay in the Atlantic Beach / Neptune Beach area, then check out Sliders Oyster Bar and Grill for lunch or dinner. Casual atmosphere with excellent food.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

I agree with the suggestions from pinkpinkerton. I have dined at the 95 Cordova in St. Augustine. This is the perfect ambience for classy and romantic. I would not go to the Landing in Downtown Jacksonville, there is hardly any stores left and I cannot really recommend any good restaurants at The Landing. I would definitley go out to the Beach. For a good Sunday Brunch, I would go to the Casa Marina. I also heard the dinners are also good. There is also a Martini Bar upstairs. You didn't give your ages. This has to be a major consideration because they are a lot of cheesy teeny bopper places at the beach also.

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

Lots of great suggestions for the beaches, but those are about 30 minutes away from the stadium. If you want to be somewhere closer to downtown, try one of the nice B&Bs in Avondale/Riverside, a fun, eclectic neighborhood about 7 minutes from downtown. The Riverdale Inn is new and very nice, although $$. There are great shops and restaurants in Avondale--Biscotti's, The Brick, The Casbah for Med. food and a hookah lounge. West End Cantina has good Mexican and nightly entertainment. Days should be spent at the modern museum, JMOMA, The Cummer Museum, Little Talbot Island State Park (the BEST beach in the area). Email me at grimss@comcast.net if you want more suggestions. Welcome to JAX.

Jacksonville
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

you have to go to MOJO ('a southern blues kitchen') for some awesome BBQ. you can split the 'BIG MOJO' between the two of you (and a third person, if you can find one). and, you should try the onion rings ('heaven battered in heaven to dip in some heaven' is how we describe them). it's south of the San Marco area, just off San Jose Blvd. on University.

Bistro AIX (bistrox.com) is great place for a really nice lunch, wood-fired pizza, or a semi-fancy dinner. i usually get the steak frites (the french fries are so good i've never ruined them with ketchup), and my wife LOVES the Lamb "French Dip" sandwich. the house-made potato chips with blue cheese are popular, too.

Yes, Matthews is great, and definitely a dress-up kinda place. We've only been once, but Mr Medure is probably Jacksonville's top chef (he also has Restaurant Medure in Ponte Vedra Beach - which is just south of Jacksonville Beach, and the Medure Brothers are part-owners of Sobu, a thai-ish place also in Ponte Vedra). We've also eaten at Sobu once, and my wife loves the place. Matthews is one of the only places worthy of dressing-up in Jacksonville, i'd say.

BB's is another semi-fancy, bistro type, great place for dinner, and has an awesome dessert case, so even if you eat somewhere else, and just want to get some dessert and wine afterward, it's worth going.

A nice little place for lunch, or great do!nuts! for breakfast, downtown is Worman's Bakery and Deli. It's not the prettiest place in the world, but you really can't go wrong there (although i'm not big on the liver-and-onions sandwich)

Also good downtown are the Gyro's, and other fresh lunch offerings, at 'Around the Corner Deli'

Near the Stadium area, I would avoid the Amsterdam Sky Cafe, personally.

Don't forget to get some chocolates (or great ice cream on the cheap) at Peterbrooke Chocolatier while you're in the San Marco area (which is where BB's, Bistro Aix, and Matthews are).

Jacksonville
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

oh, and i would also second going to the Casbah for Med. food and smoke and beer and belly-dancing (on the right night), and The Brick for some fancy-grille type food. But again, make sure you try MOJO BBQ.

Biscotti's is the predecessor to BB's, so they're cousins, i guess.

Portland, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

Thanks Everyone for the great advice, keep it coming if you can, I want to make it a great trip, and with a record of 2-1 for the Jags thus far, and the way the game in Indy went down, I am looking forward to a very exciting game.

-Dan

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming To See A Jags Game DEC 11, What Can We Do the Other...

pinkpinkerton - The Sea Horse Oceanfront Inn was renovated a couple years ago. Its condition is upscale and delightful. I recommend the Sea Horse over the Sea Turtle Hotel across the street because at the Sea Horse you are in 'closer contact with the ocean', 'you are there', the sense is that you can 'reach out and touch it'. In the Sea Turtle Hotel, which is nice but in a different way, you are in an eight story hotel and may not have a room with a balcony as most of the rooms there don't have one.