We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation /Househunting

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Topic
Vacation /Househunting

Hi- my husband and I plan to relocate to Jax area next year. We visited once or twice and think this is the place for us. We don't know much about the city and plan to vacation there for a week this August to get a better feel for the city and surrounding beaches.

Looking for recommendation for hotels or vacation rentals on or close to the beach for about a week so we can vacay and do some house hunting at the same time.

Thanks!

Theresa

Mentioned in this post
Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation /Househunting

Here's a map of Jacksonville and its hotels:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3245925,-81.4002407,18z

Keep magnifying the map until the hotels appear. Any of the hotels on the beach are fine.

-The Seahorse Oceanfront Inn would be my choice. It's at the end of Atlantic Blvd.

-The Hotel Palms is an old place renovated now into a "boutique hotel". It's close to Atlantic Blvd, a couple blocks from the beach.

-The generic Days Inn on Atlantic Blvd about a half mile from the beach would be cheaper than the beach hotels.

-The Holiday Inn on Beach Blvd about a half mile from the beach has cheaper prices also.

-Fairfield by Marriott is right across the street inland from the Marriott Courtyard which is on the ocean.

-Casa Marina is a privately owned, quaint, older hotel. I've had some very good dinners there.

The younger set mostly hangs out in Jax Beach between Beach Blvd and 6th Ave North where the concentration of bars is.

Good luck with house hunting. I've heard it's currently a sellers' market here. There's a lot of building going on because of a demand for housing. Note that taxation on property varies between Jax Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach (all separate little cities), Jacksonville, and Ponte Vedra.

Spirit

Mentioned in this post
Seahorse Oceanfront Inn
Seahorse Oceanfront Inn
190 Reviews
Neptune Beach, FL
Hotel Palms
Hotel Palms
236 Reviews
Atlantic Beach, FL
Atlantic Beach
Atlantic Beach
601 Reviews
Jacksonville, FL
2. Re: Vacation /Househunting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, June 28, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation /Househunting

Thanks Vicki- I think Air BnB may be the way to go!

Theresa

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation /Househunting

Thanks! This is very helpful-esp taxation info...

Theresa

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
640 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation /Househunting

Nocatee is a fast growing community just south of Duval county (Jacksonville). School system better in St. John's county which is good even if you don't have kids. Keeps resale values up. And it's closer to St. Augustine which is a beautiful historic town on the bay. Make sure to go visit while touring in August.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation /Househunting

Thank you- will do!

7. Re: Vacation /Househunting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 01, 2018