We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To hire a car or not hire a car

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
To hire a car or not hire a car

hi all - we're spending a week staying with friends near Danville...we'll do the usual touristy things, get in a basketball game, do the outlets etc and wondering if we should be hiring a car...I imagine it would be better if we did...there's 4 of us travelling..thanks

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,133 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To hire a car or not hire a car

There is zero public transit in the area, so you will definitely need a car. The area is very stereotypical (albeit upscale) American suburbia.... single-family houses with 3 car garages, you drive to the shopping center, kids even drive to school. Danville does have a very nice old downtown section, so you can walk around an area with local stores and restaurants rather than a mall.

If nothing else, you'll need a car to get to the outlet malls... Livermore is the closest.

I'm not sure what the "usual touristy things" in Danville are... it's not a place most visitors even see, let alone use as a headquarters. You could drive to a nearby BART station in Dublin or Walnut Creek and take BART into the city. (This is a popular commute route as many people who live in Danville work in the city.)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,940 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To hire a car or not hire a car

Yes hire a car, unless your host is willing to drive you around.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To hire a car or not hire a car

thx for the updates...when I said touristy things I meant in SF itself :) thanks julie

Reply to: To hire a car or not hire a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Danville