We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need update as what to see where to stay

Midlothian,t
Level Contributor
77 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
need update as what to see where to stay

We are planning a trip around the middle of Sept

We are driving in a miata from Dallas, Texas to Vegas with a stop at least one day and maybe two around Gallup or Grants. We are open to staying somewhere else if there is somewhere better even off route as we like back roads

We are looking at a nine day vacation with at least a day to a day and a half in Vegas.We can take longer if need be

Health issues will not allow me to do a lot of walking at a time so just driiving and looking would be more our style

Would it be better we stay in or around ALBQ and take back roads to Gallup or grant

Or go to one of the other towns and soend the night and drive around

We could stop and lay over on the way back as well

We are open to any suggestions of what to see or a drive route

Food os not an issue unless you know a great greasy burger joint or a real down home meal, or BBQ

1 reply
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need update as what to see where to stay

You mentioned health issues restricting your walking. If you can handle under a mile, I would make the following suggestion. If you spend the night in Grants, you could take the El Morro, Zuni route into Gallup. This is a pretty drive over a very good road. Stop at El Morro, see the inscriptions on the rocks, return to the highway, go two miles and take the Fence Lake road south four 8 miles, then turn right on 125 for four miles to the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctucary. A one hour guided tour over fairly easy terrain to see all these magnificent animals. Did this yesterday (Sunday), and will be going back. Then return to NM 53 to Zuni, and then NM602 to Gallup. This would take most of your day, so stay in Gallup for the night. Lots of good lodging, and many restaurants make it a good nights stay.

But, I would not opt to stay in Grants as only a few motels on the east side, and only a few restaurants. Albuquerque would be a better choice for the night, then get an early start for the day trip I recommended above.

You could do this on your trip going out on returning, but either way, I would recommend Albuquerque instead of Grants for overnight.

Reply to: need update as what to see where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grants
More Grants Topics