We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

jacksonville
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Would appreciate hints/tips for a beautiful, scenic drive from Gettysburg thru the Lancaster area ending up outside of Allentown on our way to NYC. We're in no hurry, want to enjoy the drive. Thanks.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Gettysburg and Lancaster connect via route 30, and on the way there will be several small towns, then York, a few more towns, and finally Lancaster. You'll get several opportunities to antique shop, if you're into that; there are some hometown diners; and you'll have opportunities to see our state bird, the Construction Crane.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Imalocal, can you recommend a dinner on our drive to be sure to stop at? Between the Quality Inn @ General Lee's, The Colton Motel and the Country Inn and Suites which should we stay at?

They all have such good TA reviews, which do you recommend?

Thanks.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Tiger, anything to add?

The Colton is an older motel in town. Looks 1960s-ish from the outside, but reviewers on here were happy with the service. Carlson Country Inn/Suites is just a few years old and sits on the edge of the outlet shopping center. Lee's HQ is west of town near the first day's battle area; it sits along 30, surrounded by monuments. Catch a sunset if you're out there; just lovely.

I live here so I don't stay in the motels; can't help much there.

Lincoln Diner in the 'burg is a classic; there are a few others along 30 toward York also. If you're going to eat at one of the PA Dutch places in Lancaster, go when you're hungry, you'll be overfull when you leave.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

imalocal, thanks so much for info. we are not going to Gettysburg to shop, so we don't care about being close to an outlet mall.

In fact, we'd rather not be in a congested traffic area. Thanks for your help.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Just to add to what Imalocal said, and combining that with your wish to avoid the outlet mall and congestion, I would recommend staying at General Lee's headquarters. You'll have an amazing view of the site of the first days battle and will be within walking distance of the Seminary. The Colton is down on Steinwehr in the mix of all the tourist areas and will be very congested. Also, as far as your drive is concerned, once you get to Lancaster, continue to follow Route 30 until you pass the Tangar Outlet Malls on your right hand side. You'll then see signs for Strasburg and Bird-in-Hand, these are towns where there is a strong Amish presence and I would recommend getting of 30 for a while and driving around. It's really amazing to see the Amish culture. Not to mention there's plenty of amazing furniture stores and bakeries to look into.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Tiger72,

Thanks for info. General lee's is actually booked for the night we want. So is country inn &suites. Would you have another hotel suggestion??

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

I have enjoyed stays at the Hilton Garden in Gettysburg. I'd have to say that it is in a high traffic center and on the edge of a shopping center parking lot, but accommodations are excellent, and the staff is quite attentive. There is also a nice Hampton Inn closeby.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

I have enjoyed stays at the Hilton Garden in Gettysburg. I'd have to say that it is in a high traffic center and on the edge of a shopping center parking lot, but accommodations are excellent, and the staff is quite attentive. There is also a nice Hampton Inn closeby.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

I'd look into The Historic Gettysburg Hotel on the square or even one of the nice B&B's in town like the Brafferton on York Street or there's a really nice looking one on Middle Street...yellow exterior...the name is escaping me right now. If you didn't want to stay near the outlets, then you definitely wouldn't like the Hampton or Garden Inn as they're right on the main drag and close to the grocery stores, McDonald's, etc.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for scenic drive from Gettysburg thru Lancaster

Just thought of the name....it's the Gaslight Inn.

Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg