We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

number of days to see Gettysburg

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smithfield RI
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
number of days to see Gettysburg

Planning my 1st trip to the Gettysburg area. Driving from R.I. and was going to stop in Harrisburg and than onto Gettysburg. Don't know how many days to stay at each location to see all the major attractions. My brother is big into the Civil War so he will be interested is seeing everything.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: number of days to see Gettysburg

You can do driving tours with a Gettysburg guide - which your brother may be interested in.

http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/15

and the museum, show, etc at the museum takes at least 2 1/2 hours and if he reads every single thing half a day or longer.

There are touristy things in Gettysburg to do as well (EIsenhower Museum, American Civil War Museum, etc.)

could easily consume another day.

So a person who is really into this could spend 2 to 3 days in this area -one exploring Gettysburg; one enjoying the other things Gettysburg has to offer.

Some people do it as a day trip from Harrisburg/ Hershey or Washington DC - but if you want to spend time in the area, stay in Gettysburg.

For Harrisburg, let us know how much you want to see Hershey and do things there. That can take a day or up to several days depending on what you want to do in the Harrisburg/Hershey area.

Smithfield RI
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: number of days to see Gettysburg

Thank you for your input on Gettysburg. I was planning driving from Rhode Island, overnight in Harrisburg and see the National Civil War Museum and the State House. Than continue onto Gettysburg. See Gettysburg and drive east to Columbia,Pa(clock museum), Strasburg(Train museum) and over to Longwood Gardens. Than start home unless its really worth it to stop at Valley Forge.

Thanks

conn
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: number of days to see Gettysburg

I like to give a full day to Gettysburg but I have been here many times over the years you might want to give it 2 or even 3 days if you're a real civil war fan. Valley Forge is worth a stop so is Morris Town NJ

Smithfield RI
Level Contributor
21 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: number of days to see Gettysburg

Thank You so much, off to research what's in Morris, NJ.

5. Re: number of days to see Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg