We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

We are planning a trip to Gettysburg and are looking for intresting historical spots the locals know about that the average tourists don't know exist. I have learned that every town has some hidden secret gem and would like some help to discover one here. Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for. "According to the Trailhead map of the Gettysburg Battlefield there ar 439 Monuments and 416 Markers and tablets which commemorate the July 1863 Civil War ..." Are you looking for some obscure action location, the pizza place off the main road? I think the majority of tourists visit devils den, little round top, cemetary hill areas. However, the battle field is much larger than that with areas off of Hanover Rd that seem to be more lightly traveled but not less important. If you just get off of the main area and head downtown, there are some interesting restaurants and historical markers. Lutheran Seminary has a new museum worth visiting that not many know about.

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Nice tips less traveled is great? Thanks.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Culps Hill is a spot I like. It has it's tourist but not the big draw like Devils den, Little Round Top, Seminary Ridge. Climbing up the look out tower is a work out and gives you a great view of the area.

Salisbury, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Thanks there's supposed to be a spring near culps hill I think.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

I'm not sure of a spring but there are trails up and down the hill there.

NE PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Most likely Spangler's Spring you are thinking of, right by Culps hill. Another little visited spot is the mural at Coster Ave, a couple blocks North of the Diamond.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

Relatively few visitors to Gettysburg visit the South Cavalry Battlefield.

civilwar.org/battlefields/gettysburg/maps/ge…

Gettysburg also is where George Custer initially gained fame as the "boy general" and perhaps had his hard-charging batttle demeanor defined. It's interesting that so many persons visit the Little Big Horn, but the relatively easily visited East Cavalry Battlefield at Gettysburg is relatively ignored. This was one of the more significant cavalry battles of the war from a tactical sense as the Union rear at Gettysburg was successfully protected, and Custer's actions on July 3, 1863, were one of the more courageous, glorious and successful day's fighting of any commander during the entire war.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg,_Th…

civilwar.org/battlefields/gettysburg/maps/ea…

Custer had been promoted to general at the age of 23, and certainly earned his rank at Gettysburg and in subsequent actions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Armstrong_Custer

I've always wanted to visit Big Round Top, where Chamberlain's men immediately were assigned after the Battle of Little Round Top. Unfortunately, the view from this highest elevation on the battlefield apparently is blocked by vegetation.

Observation towers may be another hidden gem. I've never been up any of them. The Culp's Hill tower would seem very well positioned, especially to observe the terrain over which the significant actions around Culp's Hill were fought.

nps.gov/gett/naturescience/scenicvistas.htm

If interested in visiting the East Cavalry Battlefield, you might enjoy first watching Errol Flynn's "They Died with Their Boots On." The movie often is ridiculously inaccurate history, but the Gettysburg cavalry charges in the flick definitely put viewers in Custer's frame of mind.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Died_with_Their_Boo…

This article also should be helpful.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Battlefield

Please report back to us in this thread about what you did and how you enjoyed it.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

I remember my parents showing me the dinosaur prints on the Plum Run bridge on South Confederate Avenue and I've never forgotten them! Don't believe me? …nps.gov/geology/…gett-eise_gri_rpt_view.pdf - page 17

Edited: 2:47 pm, January 14, 2014
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

The town of Gettysburg was also a battlefield and afterwards had to deal with the injured, dead and dying. I found an interesting guided tour of the town (it was raining and so I was the only one on the tour - great to have a personal tour). Very interesting to hear how the locals lived through that horrid time, to see the homes and stores that were there then and to hear the stories of the townspeople. http://www.gettysburgpa.org/guidedtour.htm

conn
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for little known places in Gettysburg.

not many people know that you can climb to the top of the Penn. moment for a great view of the battle field.

Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg