We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Gettysburg

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Gettysburg

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the east coast of the USA in October this year. I'd like to do a day trip to Gettysburg, if possible.

From what the research I've done so far, it looks like the easiest way to get to Gettysburg without a car, is to take a coach trip from Washington DC. However, it appears that all the coach companies only do these tours on Thursdays, and at this stage, it's looking like we may not be in DC on a Thursday.

I'll also be spending a few days in Philadelphia, but can't seem to find any companies that do day tours to Gettysburg from Philadelphia.

Another option I've heard about, is to catch an Amway train from New York to Harrisburg, PA, then catch a bus from Harrisburg to Gettysburg. Is this a viable option? Or is there another way of getting to Gettysburg from either DC, Philadelphia, or NYC, that anyone can recommend?

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

This is going to be difficult as you are kind of "out of season" at that time of year. Certainly October is usually warm enough to be tramping around outside, but it can be a bit chilly particularly as you get into late October.

Renting a car and driving is really your best option -- from Washington DC is't about 90 minutes. This has the added advantage of allowing you to really see the battlefield at your own pace as it's a rather large area spread out over the entire area. It's not something you "walk" around.

If you're set on trying to do this using only public transportation, then the best way might be to use Amtrak from Philadelphia. Weekdays there is a train which departs 30th Street at 5:25am and arrives in Harrisburg at 7:10am. You can then grab the weekday shuttle (no weekends) called the Rabbit Express outside the train station to Gettysburg which departs at 7:18am or 7:42am (there are only two shuttles in the morning and two in the afternoon as it's a commuter shuttle) and arrives in around 9:00am.

Return trips from Gettysburg in the afternoon leave at 2:05pm and 3:00pm which would allow you to connect to a returning Amtrak train in Harrisburg to Philadelphia at 4:30 or 5:35pm which gets you back to Philadelphia at either 6:25pm or 7:23pm.

Cost right now looks to be around $30 each way ($27 each way on Amtrak and $3.50 each way on Rabbit). Search for Rabbit Transit Harrisburg on the internet to get more information.

That would be a quite compressed day, so you might want to consider an overnight in Gettysburg and catch the morning commuter out of Gettysburg to Harrisburg to do your return.

There is a local trolley which will get you around Gettysburg town although I don't know the schedule, and the visitor center at the battlefield beside being an excellent museum has a battlefield tour bus -- but I don't know the hours and if it's seasonal or not.

Keep in mind that the distance to Gettysburg from Washington DC is about half the distance from Canberra to Sydney, and from Philadelphia to Harrisburg is about 2/3 that distance. Philadelphia to Gettysburg is about the same drive time as Canberra to Sydney.

Edited: 9:17 am, July 07, 2013
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

Here is the site for the local transit:

rabbittransit.org/Schedules/FreedomTransit.a…

There is a link to the Rabbit Express, the bus to and from Harrisburg. The only problem would be that they are set up for commuters and luggage may be a problem.

Currently, local (within Gettysburg) routes are free, and look as if they will continue to be so until the fall. The Lincoln Line and the Gray Line would be the routes that you would use most frequently and the current schedules show service through November. So once you get here you would be fine.

The local Visitor's Bureau does list a limousine service that provides service from local airports. This would be expensive, but may be the most convenient option.

gettysburg.travel/visitor/gettysburg_transpo…

Please do let us know what you choose and post back after your trip...the question of how to get into town comes up frequently and we'd love to hear your experiences. :)

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

Thanks for posting the information re: Rabbit Express...I do have a question for you though...if I were taking Greyhound to Harrisburg, which for me in Upstate New York is the cheapest and easiest, does the Rabbit Express stop/drop/pickup at the bus terminal in Harrisburg? I'm not familiar with the stops on the schedule beyond the Amtrak station. Thanks for any input and a huge thanks for this new information regarding a commuter bus.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

Yes, you would want stop number 6 at the Train Station

Map:

rabbittransit.org/Schedules/rabbitEXPRESSSch…

Schedule:

rabbittransit.org/Schedules/rabbitEXPRESSSch…

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

The train station and bus station are part of the same building in downtown Harrisburg.

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

Great Thanks....appreciate the help.

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

Thank you , I kind of thought they were but its been awhile since I've been there in Harrisburg. Thanks again.

8. Re: Getting to Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 14, 2014