We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions, Please!

Huntington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions, Please!

My 14-year-old son and I (teacher single mom) have the week of July 14-21 free. We have long dreamed about visiting Gttysburg, and this may be the year before Driver's Ed, and his having a job make it impossible!

Questions:

1. Would there be an advantage in coming midweek or over a weekend, in terms of crowds, available activities, etc.?

2. Given that we are a 9-hour drive, we will probably have to spend about a day and a half at Gettysburg. We have been to D.C. in the past. I'd like to get as much in as possible, but don't want to spend ALL of our time driving. So within a 4-6 day trip, what would others recommend we do....Antietam? Philadelphia? Hershey?

3. To keep costs down, I would consider camping (tenting) a night or two. Any campground recommendations?

4. I hate driving in crowds and unfamiliar places. I know it's part of the deal, but it helps to know in advance: Is the area relatively easy to navigate and well-marked? Will parking be an issue?

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate any help.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Hershey
Hershey
Pennsylvania
denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions, Please!

Here's more for you. Parking can be tight, especially around dinner time. Bring some spare change. You may need to park on side streets and walk but be careful of no parking signs, especially in residential areas. The thing about Gettysburg is it isn't that big so if you can walk a few miles, you can get anywhere. There's also a trolly that goes up and down Baltimore street and it's free. You pick it up north of the town square, across from the Lincoln train station.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions, Please!

I go to Gettysburg every year for 7-10 days. I'm also an associate licensed battlefield guide. Here are my thoughts. First, as many have said, it will be busy any time this summer but you will have missed the anniversary. Second, I'd start at the visitor's center and then hire a guide for a two-hour tour. You may want to call and reserve one before you arrive at the park otherwise you may have quite a wait. Third, get on Gettysburg's national park service website and familiarize yourself with it. Lots of good stuff there. Check out the ranger programs for they are always outstanding. Every afternoon at 3:30 there is a "battle walk" where you meet up with a ranger/historian and walk a part of the battlefield and study it in depth. At night, around 8:30, there are campfire programs on various topics presented by a park ranger/historian. If none of this sounds appealing, you could buy a cd of the driving tour and drive through the park. The cd costs about 12 dollars. You stop, get out and read the monuments as you wish. You can take all the time you want. I don't camp while I'm there so I don't have a recommendation from personal experience but check out trip advisor for their recommendations. Make sure you have good footware so you can walk distances. Beware that Adams County Pennsylvania (Gettysburg) is very high in ticks so get a good bug repellant. You can definately pick them up in the tall grass but I've gotten them on sidewalks and short grass. Just take a look all over at the end of the day. Also bring a good hat and bottled water.Heat exhaustion can sneak up on you before you know it, even if it's in the 80's. I love Antietam but with only a day and a half, I'd stay at Gettysburg. Do Antietam another time. It's about 1:15 away from Gettysburg and not nearly as large. But...it's beautiful and well preserved.

13. Re: Suggestions, Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2014