We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Gettysburg?

AllieGirl8200
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Gettysburg?

I am headed to the Gettysburg area with a girlfriend for 3 days in October. We'll be staying with a relative of mine for one night, at a Days Inn another, and at the Cashtown Inn for our last night.

We are planning on spending one day on Antietam and Harpers Ferry and 2 days Gettysburg. We'd like to plan a well-rounded trip, including history (battlefield tour and museums), good food and drinks, and some entertainment in the form of a ghost tour.

I'm hoping for some suggestions on restaurants with good food and good atmosphere, possibly a bar where we can have a few drinks at the end of the night. Also if anyone has an idea of which ghost tours are the least cheesy, and of any museums/attractions that we shouldn't miss, it would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Cashtown Inn
Cashtown Inn
235 Reviews
Cashtown, PA
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

Can't speak about the ghost tours in the area but I have heard plenty of great things about the Segway tours of Gettysburg.

http://www.segtours.com/

A friend also speaks very highly of The Ott House just over the boarder in Maryland as a great place to eat.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

Agree on the Segway Tour, it was a great time.

As far as dining:

Inn at Herr RIdge, extensive wine list, pricey, great presentation

The Dobbin House, period costumes, big portions, also the Springhouse Tavern downstairs

The Blue Parrot Bistro, funky atmosphere, somewhat pricey

Gerryowen Irish Pub, authentic, good food

O'Rorkes Irish Pub, reasonable price

Gettysburg Eddie's, great steaks

Montezuma, good mexican

El Consteno, small, outside available

Olde Eagle Grill

Garibaldi's

Mentioned in this post
Inn at Herr Ridge
Inn at Herr Ridge
493 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Dobbin House Tavern
Dobbin House Tavern
4,288 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Gettysburg Eddie's
Gettysburg Eddie's
1,285 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

We just finished up a three day trip as well, including a day in Antietam/Harpers Ferry. You'll find it's a very busy three days -- there's lots to see. I would highly recommend that you do a guided battlefield tour to get the most out of the experience. The Shriver House in Gettysburg is an interesting look at civilian life during the War, and is worth seeing.

We did not do a ghost tour, but heard very good things from fellow travelers about Miss Betty's Ghost Tours, and some not-so-good things about several others, which were apparently pretty cheesy. Here's a link to check out.

http://www.missbettysghostsingettysburg.com/

Have a great time! We sure did.

Mentioned in this post
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

The taped car tour of the battlefield is good, and you can stop and go as you please rather than move with a group.

For something very interesting and quite different see if you can get one of the tours from Debra Sandoe McCauslin

gettysburg.travel/visitor/member_detail.asp…

Carmichael...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

Hello, we are planning 3 days in the Gettysburg area next May. You mentioned that you spent a day in Antietam/Harper's Ferry. We will be coming from Lancaster. Questions:

1) Are 2 days enough to see all of the important sites in Gettysburg.

2) Did you do Antietam/Harpers Ferry in one day based from Gettysburg.

3) Was that worth the time. If it was worth it, do you recommend spending the night in Harpers Ferry?.......we will be going to Baltimore from there.

Thanks,

DAVE

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

Tough questions. Two days in Gettysburg can be enough to see the major sights, but it depends on how much time you think you would linger at them. For example, we did a three-hour guided tour, and then went back to specific locations on the battlefield for several more hours. I could have spent more time if I had it, but we felt like we saw the highlights.

As for Antietam/Harpers Ferry, doing it in one day was a bit rushed. We left by 10:00 from Gettysburg, but spent some time (a couple hours, actually) in Emmitsburg, so we were a bit delayed. We went to Harpers Ferry first, but did not spend that much time there due to very hot weather. There's probably more to see if you can leisurely look around without melting and/or combusting. In retrospect, I don't know if I would go back again, but I definitely had enough interest in the John Brown story that I was glad I saw it.

Antietam is do-able in one afternoon. Bought the audio tour, and actually got bored with some of the narration, so we skipped ahead through certain portions. Probably spent about 3 or 4 hours there in total, and felt like we covered everything pretty well. It's definitely worth seeing if you have time. If I had to choose one and not the other, I would definitely choose Antietam over Harpers Ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
Carmichael...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

Thanks.....Is there any other little village or town that is close to Gettysburg that should be visited. Did you visit the Lancaster area on your trip?

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
14 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

Sounds like my Gettysburg trip. If you have the time, stop over in Charlestown, West Virginia, a few miles West of Harper's Ferry. It's where John Brown was hanged, as well as having the largest concentration of George Washington relatives and ancestors (his brother, Charles, founded the town and is buried there) outside of Mt. Vernon. But, as has been said, one day to see it all is pushing it. Both can easily take a day themselves, especially if you want to hike around Harper's Ferry.

For Gettysburg, Reliance Mine is where I like to go for drinks. Nothing fancy, not too crowded or stuffy. Friendly staff and patrons. The bar inside the Farsnworth House is pretty good, too.

If you want to avoid a cheesy ghost tour, don't go on the ones that take place inside the Jennie Wade or Orphanage homes. Any of the Ghosts of Gettysburg tours are pretty good. You really get a good lesson on the history of the town itself, with the Carlisle St. tour being my favorite. You get to walk around the Gettysburg College campus for that one.

As for dining, I do like the Farnsworth for their period specialities like game pie and the great Jennie Wade and Spoon bread. And baseball fans should go to Gettysburg Eddie's, by all means.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
West Virginia
West Virginia
United States
Carlisle
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
Gettysburg Eddie's
Gettysburg Eddie's
1,285 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

So I would recommend checking out the International Museum of Spiritual Investigations instead of the standard Ghost Tour. They offer actual paranormal investigations. Www.museumofspirits.com it would think seeing as you are spending the night at the Cashtown Inn you are looking for something a little more serious . The big difference between them and the other groups in town the are a 501c3 non profit and everyone is a volunteer so the are passionate about what they are doing not just tying to take you money. I have to be honest and tell you I am one of the voulnterrs but at least check us out. We are also the least expensive investigation in town. Depending when you are coming we have some special events this month. Hope you have a great time in Gettysburg.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
10. Re: 3 Days in Gettysburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 09, 2012