We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

Okay,at first glance I thought this is one of those stories that someone made up but I heard this from two different sources.

Does anyone know anything about this claim?

As "punishment" the bodies of dead confederate soldiers were buried beneath the streets of Gettysburg.

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

It's nonsense. Sounds like something a 'ghost tour guide' would come up with. There is no historical basis for such an assertion that I have ever encountered. So your first glance reaction was correct.

Gettysburg
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

There were Conferderate soldiers and Union alike fighting several places in town. There were mass Conferderate graves that I know of down by the football field next to middle school. Last set of bones found down there I believe was 1994. Another set found in 1996 or so by the train tracks. They thought them to be confederate just because of location.

Some of the bodies weren't in graves untilSept/Oct. by then they were digging graves anywhere they could. I can not imagine being a citizen living in Gettysburg during the year 1863. Can You?

Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

Good Gawd the stench itself must have been unbelievable. I think that perhaps there could be graves under some streets but not as punishment but having the street later build over them not knowing the graves were there.

The visual is awful.

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

I'd strongly suggest reading well-researched books such as the late Greg Coco's A STRANGE & BLIGHTED LAND. An award-winning (and entirely factual) look at Gettysburg post-battle. The S.G. Elliot map (1864), an invaluable primary resource, indicates location of Confederate graves ... no 'bodies buried under the streets.'

Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

Thank you!! I don't want to be the harbinger of legends or myths. Gawd only knows there are hundreds of stories floating around as it is.

Thanks again for the reference! I will check the sources.

6. Re: Confederate bodies under the streets of Gettysburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg