We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

My friends and I would like to visit and stay in Gettysburg, but would also like to take a few day trips to Washington DC.

Is it a long ride to DC by car?

And also once we get there is there parking in the area or outside the city?

Thanks!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

The outskirts of DC are about an hour and a half from Gettysburg by car.

Yes it is doable but what I recommend (and often do) is to drive to Shady Grove (it's past Frederick, MD on the way to DC) and park in the Metro lot and take the Metro. You can get a day pass and then don't need to worry about parking which is in short suppy and expensive.

Gettysburg to Shady Grove is about 45 minutes then the Metro is about 35-45 minutes to the Mall area where most museums, the capital, etc are.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

I thank you for your response! Thats actually a very good idea. Its either that or staying in Virginia. Alot of people told me that would be more convienant.

We just love Gettysburg so much that we would love to stay there instead. I know there are some battlefields in Virginia so we could visit those as well. I thank you again!

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

The comment about taking the metro from Shady Grove is 100% spot-on. It is the very best, easiest and cheapest way to go.

The thing is ... I have done a number of day trips to DC from the Gettysburg area, and while it is easily done, it does make for a long day. As such, I suggest picking a couple DC attractions to focus on. For example: do only the Smithsonian History museum and the Washington Memorial; or Arlington and the Lincoln & Vietnam memorials; you get the idea. By the time you drive to Shady Grove, get on the metro and follow it downtown, you're looking at a good 2 1/4 hours at least (each way). Just keep that in mind and don't overdue it and drive yourself crazy.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

Wow that is a long day. I see your point.

Do you thinks its better to just stay in Maryland or Virginia instead of staying in Gettysburg?

Alot of people told me to stay in Virginia so that after visiting the DC area we can also see some of the other popular battlefields like Fredericksburg.

By the way we will be staying a week. Thanks again!

usa
Level Contributor
642 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

A week is a pretty good amount of time.

What's your main focus: Civil War sites or DC? Or a combination? With an entire week, you might consider taking two days at Gettysburg and the rest in northern Virginia. This would allow you to spend some days in DC, and also as you suggest, provide access to other battlefields. Manassas is just outside DC, easily visited. The Fredericksburg area has several battlefields. There is also the Antietam battlefield and Harpers Ferry, an easy day trip from either DC or Gettysburg.

Here's a thought on an itinerary, based on the assumption that you want to do multiple Civil War sites:

Spend two days in Gettysburg; leave there and drive to Antietam & Harpers Ferry on a third day, ending it at your DC hotel; spend two days doing DC; spend your last 2 days at Manassas and a day trip to Fredericksburg which would include on other battlefield (Chancellorsville, or Wilderness, or Spotsylvania).

If you want to spend more time doing the Fredericksburg area battlefields, it might even be worth it to get a hotel there for a night, allowing you to explore in more depth. But do consider Antietam and Harpers Ferry, two Civil War gems and not far out of the way from Gettysburg and Washington. If it were me, I would focus on Gettysburg, Antietam/Harpers Ferry and Manassas, they are excellent parks.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

xxrrttyy....I thank you for your replies. : )

We have been to Gettysburg 3 times already but just love staying there. However its not something we have to do. We would really like to visit DC and also other civil war battlefields. We have already visited Harpers Ferry and Antietam. We enjoyed both! They were fascinating!

So basically DC is definately a place we would like to check out. I havent been there since the age of 15 so I would really like to go. I dont plan on staying in DC because of the expence. I would stay outside the city which is why I thought of Virgina. We havent seen Manassas or Fredericksburg and would like to see that as well. (If we can fit that in)

Its ok if we dont stay in Gettysburg. We have been there 3 times like I said and the only thing we havent seen is the new visitors center, the Calvary field, and the new improved Wills house. We also enjoy going to Boyds Bear country LOL! We just enjoy the atmosphere there and the history behind it.

If we do visit DC we would take a metro train into the city. I have no intentions of driving through DC. Heard it was confusing and the parking is expensive.

Perhaps we should just focus on DC and the Civil War battlefields we havent seen yet? We are big Civil War buffs and I read that Manassas and Fredericksburg are great to see.

Westfield, MA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

We drove down to DC in 2003 from Massachusetts - on the way home we visited Gettysburg - it was very do-able from DC - maybe 2 houres or so - there was plenty of parking at the visitor's center - and a variety of ways to tour the Battlefield - either you could take a guided tour, or purchase one of several "self-guided" tours, and then drive through the Battlefield in your own vehicle - which is what we did. We went in mid-April, and that year it was a long, cold Spring - DC had cherry blossoms, but Gettysburg still had snow on the ground.... After we toured the battlefield we found a nice local place for dinner, and then went up to Harrisburg for the night.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

Luminaria2112...I thank you for your reply as well.

Yes I was told DC was about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Gettysburg by car. Im just not sure we want to drive that far just for a day trip. Its quite exausting.

We have been to Gettysburg 3 times and we have already toured the battlefield and so forth. We actually had a private tour guide which is the best way to go.

I was really more concerned with the parking in DC not Gettysburg. Gettysburg theres always parking. As a matter of fact we dont have to bother looking to park because we stay at a bed and breakfast in town and everything is walking distance including the restaurants. Very convienant! : )

We will be vacationing for a week im just not sure we are going to want to drive to DC from Gettysburg 3 or 4 times out of the week. It just sounds crazy to do that. I think we may just stay in Virginia for a few days and visit DC then head up to Gettysburg for a few days and visit. Perhaps this may be a little less tiresome : )

Thanks again for all your help!

9. Re: How far is Gettysburg from Washington DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg