We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gettysburg in October

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gettysburg in October

We have 5 couples planning to visit Getttysburg for a 3 day weekend in mid October. Are battle field recreations staged at this time of the year?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gettysburg in October

Not large-scale reenactments. You may find some lone reenactors wandering around the streets, or a small encampment of maybe up to 10, but usually by the end of September they are gone.

Some do come back to town to camp during Remembrance Day weekend in November (whatever is closest to Nov. 19). There's a parade that Saturday and a ceremony in the national cemetery.

PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gettysburg in October

I love going in October. It gets dark earlier. The air is cool and leaves are colorful. October is also the time 'ghosthunters' are out in the fields.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gettysburg in October

The only major reenactments occur over the Fourth of July.

You'll love Gettysburg no matter when you visit. The historical society's have done a wonderful job of re-creating and telling the story of Gettysburg in the visitor center.

There is also a driving tour on tape or cd. I think it takes about 2 hours in which you'll drive through the battefields and Gettysburg area as the narrator explains what you're looking at. They really did a nice job putting those together. It's worth your time.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gettysburg in October

My favorite time of year to go there myself! For the last 3 years there were never any re-enactments that I saw this during this time of year. Encampments of different state regiments are sometimes at the American Civil War Museum on Steinwehr Ave. (behind the visitor center) and sometimes on the battlefield. Re-enactors are dressed and can be seen everywhere visiting the battlefield themselves. If you haven’t already check the calendar on www.gettysburgcvb.org

Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg